+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Birth Records

How hard is it to get a copy of your birthing records from hospitals? Is there fees involved? Will they just give them to me or do they have to go direct to another doctor?

I had a god awful birth and after birth care with my second lots and lots of complications and obstetric errors that I can't even begin to explain to my now new obstetrician not to mention a foggy memory about the whole thing and I don't want history to repeat itself...

I don't mind if i have I give them direct to the new obstetrician (which is at a whole different hospital so he won't have access to the info unless someone asks) but I wouldn't mind having a nose through the documents myself...

Any idea ladies?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just signed a permission to release form so that my OB could get my records from my previous birth at another hospital. I didn't see them but the OB did

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think you can obtain a copy thru the freedom of information act but you would need to put forward a written request and why otherwise the doctor can obtain them with your permission. Contact the hospital and they can direct you to where you apply for them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just rang my hospital and asked. They said I need to come in to prove that I was indeed who I said I am so I did and then they just sent it out in the mail for free! It was all on a disk cos it was clearly many pages long.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Birth Records

Mine were sent to my GP where I was given a copy. Second baby, the Ob gave me the records to pass onto my GP as I was seeing him the next day for another health issue (unrelated to Ob/gyn).

Thanks
    Reviews
    I contacted my hospital and had to pay a ridiculous amount of money but I wanted a copy so it was worthwhile. That was just in relation to the birth and hospital stay not any records from during the pregnancy as that was all routine with no complications. Unfortunately only about two pages were in any way useful. Hours of surgery reduced to about three lines!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Birth Records

Thank you for the input ladies!!! I know what to do now!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Birth Records

My ob (at priv hospital) gave me a printout of my birth notes after my last birth ...
    Prob just something for u to sign but shouldn't cost anything or be off limits