+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Tried to breastfeeding but milk didn't come in

When my DD was born I decided I would try to see if I could breast feed..
    I had no bottles or sterliser bought in case I was able to.
    After she was borns my midwife tried to get her to attach & she did for maybe 10/15 mins & got some colostrum.

But anytime after that when I tried to get her to latch on she wouldn't. I spent about an hour. The midwife even attempted a few times but she wouldn't latch on correctly.

Then another midwife have me a syringe & asked me to try to express some colostrum. I tried & tried & squeezed for very long time till my boobs became very sore & not even a trickle came out which I thought was strange.

So bub was getting hungry & I couldn't express & she wouldn't latch on so I made the decision to BF her.

Have has no regrets about it since. It was my choice in the end.

A friend of mine & my sister told me to be careful in the shower washing myself not to touch off my boobs or they would be very sore & that I could leak & to put cabbage leaves in the freezer which I all did.

But what I did find strange in the coming days/weeks was that I wasn't sore, had no leakage & my boobs didn't get sore or engorged.

Is it possible that maybe I just wasn't producing any milk. I'm not even sure if that happens. I never even thought to mention it to my midwife or GP after as I was too busy.

It's just now that I've been wondering why this happened & if anyone else had a similar experience?

Thanks
    Reviews

So bub was getting hungry & I couldn't express & she wouldn't latch on so I made the decision to BF her.

I meant FF her

Thanks
    Reviews

Not sure but could it be that because you didn't have the stimulation needed for the milk to come in it never did?
    DD was at the boob every 2 hours round the click for 3 days before my milk came in so I assume a lot of stimulation is required.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to gnomesy For This Useful Post:

PR2bMum  (28-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yes, that happened to me also. My milk never came in - DD lost huge amounts of weight and became severely dehydrated, despite being on the breast 24 hours a day. I tried for 10 weeks(!) to get it to come in, saw three lactation consultants, spent days in the hospital's breastfeeding clinic, took all the medications, supplements, naturopathic remedies under the sun... but never produced anything.

I found it extremely hard to get people to believe me that there was no milk there. There was no discernible reason for it - I had a normal vaginal birth, DD had a very strong suck (Although I believe she was tongue tied, but again no one would listen). Looking back I think stress and lack of sleep contributed - When DD was born I had been awake for 48 hours, and because she was so hungry she never slept, so I didn't either. DD's Dad was sick when she was born and was absolutely no help and it was pretty much the worst thing I have ever been through in my life.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

How did you try and express?

I have an abundance of milk. I have 3 breast pumps, 2 were lent to me, but I can only express milk from my manual avent pump, and one of the pumps I borrowed is electric!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yes, it's possible for milk to not come in, even if you don't have Sheehan Syndrome.
    Leaking and engorgement are only problems for people who make milk.

I'm so pleased you don't regret FF. I'm still coming to terms with my crappy boobs that don't work properly, Over 3 months I managed to drag my supply up to nearly 20 mL an hour - which isn't enough to feed 1 baby, let alone 2. I can see from their growth charts that ditching boob was a good decision, but I'm still not happy about it.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to felicita For This Useful Post:

beebs  (29-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was in a similar boat with DD, I got colostrum out, constantly tried to feed her around the clock. While some milk did come in, I did not experience that "engorged" feeling, when you have huge b00bs and cleavage like a 17 year old. After three weeks of hell we went to bottle and I was told by my GP that I had a very low supply and that I would probably need meds to feed should I try with any subsequent babies.
    With DS, my milk did come in, I got the whole engorged feeling, giant b00bs etc, so I can definitely say that I noticed the difference between the two. I still had supply issues which were recognised while I was still in hospital, so was put on motilium and DS was combo fed for a few months until we went to ff.
    I think that stress combined with my low supply played a part in my lack of milk with DD. While my birth was not traumatic, I had a nasty altercation with a midwife who really upset me, and then a child who did not sleep like a newborn but screamed for the first 24 hours of her life. I was far more relaxed second time round, and far less vulnerable.
    Missie_mack, totally had the same "face and boob rammed together" experience you had! I really did not get bf first time round!

Thanks
    Reviews

With my first son I couldn't express anything, it took a few tries for him to latch but when he did it took about 2 weeks for my milk to come in, I mixed fed till then and bfed and pumped as much as I could.
    With my dd she didn't feed for 2 full days and wouldn't latch at all. I couldnt express again and had an lc come on the 2nd day, we gave formula and on the 3rd day she finally latched. I mix fed again until my milk came in on day 5, then just bf exclusively. I always had issues with supply, took medication, she fed every hour, I pumped throughout the day, saw an lc at the hospital every week because she wasnt putting on weight, we went for 6 months this way.

Basically it's hard to know if you had supply issues because you only tried to bf for a day. Not being able to hand express is very common, you need to breast feed to have milk come in and the more your baby demands and feeds, the more you will make. Because your baby never bfed it's most likely why you never leaked or felt engorged.
    So yeah it's hard to know if you would have had supply issues. But what you described is common, babies don't always latch first off and it does take some time, days even for milk to come in with continuous bfeeding and using a professional pump to help it along.

Thanks
    Reviews

It's really interesting to hear all your similar experiences.. Thank you

I agree if I had of kept trying & went to see a lactation consultant etc my milk may or may not of came in but i didn't want to see my baby in distress or put lots of pressure on myself as i wasn't long living in Australia before I got pregnant & had no family/friends around through my pregnancy & afterwards while adjusting to been a mum.

So in the end my DD took brilliantly to the formula, she's a great feeder & sleeper & is such a happy little girl.

NanaK is offline I'm surrounded by beautiful boys!
    Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    Actually women who have severe engorgement can struggle to get the milk out due to pressure, they also struggle with attachment because of the pressure- this is why reverse pressure techniques are used to help get the milk out and babies to attach. Often the case is perceived low supply rather than actual low supply. Low supply is generally quite rare...
    Yes yes yes.... When they are super full, it is really had to start getting milk out. I used to have to shower before feeds or use a warm compress. But. Never had a question that there was heaps of milk. Mind you even with the list of milk, we struggled to breasts we'd. I made it 6 weeks with DS1 and only 2 weeks DS2 :-( it's a bit like godly locks... Not enough milk can cause troubles and to much milk can cause troubles - needs to be just right ;-)

For me, breast feeding was tough gig. I had LCs ($600 worth!!) come out 4 times with DS1 and then struggled with major guilt when I moved to FF but mine and DSs relationship improved heaps when we move to FF, that's just us though.

In the instance that anyone reads this and has supply issues in the future, fenugreek tea/tablets can really help boost milk supply.
    Last edited by NanaK; 28-01-2013 at 21:52.