+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Difference between Montessori & Steiner?

I'm just looking for the difference in this education. I'm interested in Montessori but someone suggested Steiner thank you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Steiner - The 13 year curriculum (K-12) seeks to balance academic achievement with age-appropriate physical, emotional and intellectual development and to promote growth of the child as a social and spiritual being.

Montessori - Also aims to develop the child's potential, and is based on "following the child" - recognising and responding to the child's developmental needs.

Hopefully that helps (If i'm wrong please correct me)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Thank you! Now I'm even more undecided!

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Cromo View Post
    Steiner - The 13 year curriculum (K-12) seeks to balance academic achievement with age-appropriate physical, emotional and intellectual development and to promote growth of the child as a social and spiritual being.

Montessori - Also aims to develop the child's potential, and is based on "following the child" - recognising and responding to the child's developmental needs.

Hopefully that helps (If i'm wrong please correct me)
    This is similar to my interpretation, but I think Steiner has a 'spiritual' element, The philosophy has 3 parts and each part has a focus.

Montessori is based on development, and its more focused on the child's potential, and they sort of lead the way.

I've recently been looking at different Kindy options as well- have only started researching, so this is just my interpretation!

Thanks
    Reviews

I was reading (haven't joined) the natural parenting forum and one mum said Steiner doesn't teach maths I think until aged 7! That freaks me out as I'm hopeless (that bad I'm getting a tutor I can't even do times tables!)

I am just trying to choose the best school for our bubba but in order to get into Steiner here you have to had gone to kindy, childcare etc!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Steiner does delay literacy and little, and to some extent numeracy. Research studies have shown that by age 10 this has no detrimental effect on their education. BUT it does mean that to some extent, you have to commit to a few years at steiner. If you were changing schools in early primary you would find your child behind in some things, because they run at a different speed so to speak

Thanks
    Reviews

I've heard that Montessori discourages creativity (early on anyway) and imagination whereas as far as I know, Steiner encourages these things in a child. I'm happy for someone to dispute this as I'm interested to know if this is true!

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by futuremamma View Post
    I've heard that Montessori discourages creativity (early on anyway) and imagination whereas as far as I know, Steiner encourages these things in a child. I'm happy for someone to dispute this as I'm interested to know if this is true!
    Montessori Approach to Creativity

In Montessori we view creativity in the broadest sense. The child possesses tremendous creativity, which is directed towards becoming a ‘developed individual, endowed with a sensitive soul, an eye that sees and a hand that obeys’. This is how Dr. Maria Montessori describes the basic qualities of the creative individual.

Dr Montessori spoke often of the double task of the adaptive and constructive role of the child in human life. She states, ‘at birth a child does not have the behaviour characteristics of the group into which he is born; he has to create and prepare them. He has to learn their language and the customs and use of their implements. Whilst developing himself he unconsciously develops his own adaptation to his environment. To understand the child's tendencies, with the purpose of education in mind, we must see man in correlation with his surrounding environment and how his adaptation to it is created.’

Dr. Montessori found that the growth of a child's creativity developed spontaneously as the child's intelligence becomes established through his interaction with a prepared environment. The development of creativity depends on the child's progression through the stages of cognitive growth; from sensori-motor intelligence to intuitive thought, to concrete operations and finally to formal operations. Creativity then, is not so much developed by a concentration on its stimulation, so much as it evolves at the end of a long process of cognitive development which had absorption of reality as its beginning point.

A natural law governing the development of a child's imagination and creativity are inborn powers in the child that develop as his mental capacities are established through his or her interaction in the environment.

The environment must itself be beautiful, harmonious and based in reality in order for the child to organise his or her perceptions of it.

When he has developed realistic and ordered perceptions of the life about him, the child is capable of selecting and emphasising processes necessary for creative endeavours. Dr. Montessori emphasised that this selective capability requires three qualities:

a remarkable power of attention and concentration,
    a considerable autonomy and independence of judgement and
    an expectant faith that remains open to truth and reality.
    In addition to an environment of beauty, order and reality, Montessori realised that the child needs freedom if he is to develop creativity:

freedom to select what attracts him in his environment,
    to relate to it without interruption, and for as long as he likes,
    to discover solutions and ideas,
    to select an answer on his own and
    to communicate and share his discoveries with others at will.
    The child in the Montessori classroom is also free from the judgement by an outside authority that so annihilates the creative impulse.

Dr. Maria Montessori viewed creativity within the context of total development – intellectual, artistic, emotional and physical. Her plotting of child development traces the most significant of creative endeavours – the making of the personality, the construction of the child's self.

The environment is the source for creative process. We do not mean necessarily the art shelf, scissors and paste, clay, random play, finger-paint or musical instruments. These all play a role in the development. But the Montessori formula is simple – the child's integration is an integration of self, which comes from participation in the real from a very young age.

For the young child, imagination, art and music will be evoked by knowledge and experience of how the world really works, and with full application of the mind, the eye and the hand, will come mastery of the environment.

Art, like music, is a universal language which can be understood by all. During the early years the child's intellectual activity and physical skills are fused in a creative process which is unique to humanity.

By Pamela Nunn

References:
    Montessori, Mario M., Education For Human Development
    Polk Lillard, Paula, Montessori - A Modern Approach
    Kahn, David, Nurturing the Creative Personality - Creativity, Self and Environment.

Thanks
    Reviews

The literacy and numeracy delays have no long term impact if you stick with the school, the kids by 10 are on par or often above their peers in main****** schools.

Where are you located OP? My kids school is largely based on Steiner philosophy, but incorporates other philosophies and is quite progressive, they also don't include the spiritual side.

They have a huge focus on imagination and creativity (Steiner), which is hugely beneficial later in life. Creativity in education is currently something main****** schools are losing as a result of rigid curriculum and a results based focus.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Blissed out can I please ask which school your kids are at?