+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default PLEASE tell me it's easier the second time around?!

Hi Ladies!
    I guess I'm looking for a little reassurance and encouragement :-) I'vd still got half my pregnancy to go, but I'm already feeling anxious about BF.
    Basically with DD1, feeding her was agony at first, and so the midwives got me to pump in hospy. My milk took days to come in, so then they got me to comp feed. When I got home it took ages for my nipples to toughen up, so I pumped and pumped, and fed her from a bottle at night to give my boobs a break! After about 4 months I could BF better but she fed all the time! It was like she was never satisfied.
    We persevered until about 11 months when she began to self wean and she's a happy healthy little girl.
    I guess I'm wondering...will it hurt so much the second time? Honestly I found BF pain worse than labour...it never ended! And I really want to avoid the pump this time if I can...
    Advice?

Thanks
    Reviews

I had alot of trouble also with my first . Similar to you... Very painful , lots of pumping and bottles to give my boobies a break, comp feeding etc. I was also very nervous for my 2nd baby as I now had a toddler as well to look after so knew I wouldn't be able to sit around pumping all the time. I saw the lactation consultants in my pregnancy and they told me not to give up hope , that its a different baby this time and different feeding experience. She was right.
    My 2nd is now almost 6 weeks old and she has been a dream To feed . No pain or discomfort at all!!!! (i mean at all!) So in my experience it can definitely be 100% better the second time around.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

April, I cod have written your post!! I'm due soon (complications, so delivering early)
    Ds was 36 weeks.. I'm 34 now.
    I'm scared too cause my milk didnt come in till day 6 and he was in neonates.
    This baby is earlier and could be in longer!!!
    I have heard second time round is way easier, so I'm hanging onto that!
    We should start a support group!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

For me the first time was absolute hell. My nipples are still scarred. I probably made it worse as I refused to pump/bottle or use nipple shields. In the end it was easy and pain free after about 6 weeks I think.
    Second time easy easy, no trouble, no soreness. Both my births were the same (emergency sections) so I have no idea why it is so easy second time. Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the replies!!
    I'm sorry that other people found it as hard as I did, but I'm REALLY glad I'm not alone! When I had DD a lot of ppl around me seemed to find BF so easy, for example a friends newborn went 4 hrs between feeds from birth and my little bubbles could barely go 1 1/2 hours.
    The midwives all told me that DD had excellent attachment, which made me feel even worse. And the pumping was so depressing.
    We comp fed, and I was also around people who were very against formula. Little remarks can be so hurtful when you're trying your best.
    I'm going to go to a class at the hospital this time to try and get more pointers. Any help is good!

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I found the 2nd time much easier too, some birth related things can hinder your milk coming in so maybe have a look into that also have a look at the sticky section of the breastfeeding support section there is a thread on hindrances to a healthy milk supply

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I'm scared about BF #2 as well! It is so great to hear positive stories ladies, makes me have hope! Keep them coming!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Hands down easier. Just make sure you rest enough post birth.