+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I know exactly how you feel. I use to hide in the car to breastfeed as I felt really awkward in so many ways. Have you got a comfortable car I found this totally fine for me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default i cant feed in public :(

I used to feel really uncomfortable too. I have found bf'ing singlets amazing as a big part of my anxiety was the thought of my gut hanging out too. I wear the singlet with a loose fitting top over it and just pull up the top to feed (once DS is on I let the top sit just above his mouth so no one can see a thing). I found muslin wraps were really difficult to get right, always seemed to be falling off or flapping around, but those bf apron things look good! Might help you to be more uncomfortable. Try to relax and focus on your little one.. It gets a lot easier with time! I was so nervous and anxious at first about doing it in public and 7 months down the track I'm a pro. Good luck!!!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: i cant feed in public :(

Coming back to read this, currently bf ing in my car while ds plays at the playground with dh. Would be much cooler in the playground!!

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    I didn't have trouble in public but a friend did. We would go to the park to practice and I would help her get comfortable until she could do it in a relaxed way and virtually with one hand. Maybe getting someone to help you do it a few times till you feel comfortable with it. Once you get the hang of it and can relax you won't know yourself. It's another mummy skill to learn.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

OP I felt the same with my first - the first few weeks are hard until you get your own rhythm going with bub. Try not to be so hard on yourself, you're both still learning and public is much harder than at home initially.

I always wore a b/f singlet under a top, so to literally couldn't see anything. This made me feel more comfortable and at ease. I also used a muslin cloth until I could latch bub on straight away - when out, sometimes they get curious aswell!

As PP said, it definitely does get easier with time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I was also very self conscious in public. I found using a bf cover helped, you can get ones with the top part that is rigid so you can still see bubs easily ( sorry hard to describe but if you google then u should be able to find it). I did a few practice runs at home first so bubs could get used to feeding under the cover and so i could get the hang of it. Other times i also fed in the car.
    I really admire other ladies i have seen feeding in public.

Thanks
    Reviews

I was exactly the same. Give it 9 months and you'll flop it out no problems :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I went to an ABA breastfeeding class yesterday and they were talking about new mums feeling uncomfortable with breastfeeding in public. They suggested coming to ABA meetings / gatherings for your first public breastfeed which is something I think I'll try once my bub arrives, as i think I'm going to be pretty self conscious as well. I don't even think you have to be a member to attend.
    Good luck :-)

Thanks
    Reviews

I still feel a little uncomfortable feeding in public. Ill feed happily and fairly easily in public when there's not heaps of people around but if its crowded I get tense and anxious then DD gets fussy and it turns into a nightmare. I'm getting better now but it has taken a little while.
    Don't worry about people thinking its taking ages or whatever else just concentrate on you and you baby.

Thanks
    Reviews

I haven't read all the replies (sorry!)

I am a anxious public breastfeeder, always have been.

Today we went into the city, we were down near the south wharf. Beautiful day, lots and lots of people about. DD2 got hungry and I had no choice, I had to find a spot and feed her.

I sat on some concrete steps outside a cafe and fed her. I tried to cover her with a muslin wrap but she was having none of that. She fed with her fingers and toes twirling my hair (as she always does - crazy baby!) and despite feeling exposed and vulnerable to people judging me it turned out to be a pleasant pause in our busy day!

DH and his Dad sat with me in the sunshine while DD1 ran around on the steps. I had two young women smile at me and it made me feel a bit more relaxed about it all. After that I watched most people who walked by (I never do that while feeding, I hate making eye contact with strangers at the best of times, much less while breastfeeding!) and to be honest most people were too wrapped up in what they were doing to notice me. The ones who looked over at me didn't react negatively at all, in fact I even got a few more friendly smiles!

It is REALLY hard feeding a newborn. I didn't feed either of my girls in public until they could latch themselves with no help from me. It will get so much easier, you still might not feel 100% comfortable doing it, but at least you won't be worrying about latching and letdowns etc...

BTW, your let down can be affected my your emotions, if you're feeling scared or anxious about feeding bub infront of others then your let down may be delayed!

Try not to worry about others, I know it's easier said than done but most people will be trying to avoid looking at you feeding just as much as you're trying to be discreet