+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Auditory Processing Disorder

Hi all, I am new here, I have read many of your life stories here - such strong parents! I don't know if this really fits here. Anyway long story short, my 7 year Son has been diagnosed with APD at the Listen and Learn Centre in Balwyn Victoria and will be assessed this coming Wednesday at the same place for suspected ASD.
    The therapy that has been recommended for DS1 is and Auditory Training Program based on the Tomatis method (music based therapy) which is on the number one list of priorities, also Developmental Movement Exercises, Cogmed Memory training and Fastforward plus Social Skills therapy.I was just hoping to find some feedback on all these Therapies especially the Tomastic one. Also if he didn't do this Tomastic one, would anything else be helpful to improve his auditory processing? He is very behind in the academics at school however, he is now getting a classroom aid which is great.

I really just need to double check these therapies, because we are actually living in Geelong and to attend these sessions in Balwyn is at least 3 hours driving total a day. Especially as it is recommended that he do two intensives which involve 5 days a week for three weeks (30 hours). Though they have offered to condense the first one into 2 weeks however that would be a 5 hour day (breaks in between).
    It's also quite expensive not accounting for the travel either. Also I'm not sure our DS1 will handle that much travel as well.

We were originally referred to CAHMS in Geelong but we we were not happy (in fact we are furious
    ) with them.

The Catholic school system has provided a Speech Pathologist, but she is spread thin around Geelong plus there isn't much point doing speech therapy when DS1 can't process the sounds or remember them (which is why Reading Recovery hasn't worked for him too.)

I have googled and not found anything really. Does anyone have any ideas or successful stories around Victoria for improving Auditory Processing Disorder?
    Please! Thanks!
    Last edited by Aquarius77; 28-01-2013 at 21:53. Reason: emoticons not working and I can't spell

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi, Did you get any response for this thread? Our little one has just been diagnosed with Auditory Processing issues and we live in Geelong too. Cheers

3. The Following User Says Thank You to taurus72 For This Useful Post:

Aquarius77  (18-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow. I mentioned SPD for my son and was summarily dismissed. For me, he ticks all the boxes and almost none re autism. Instead, I was dealt with the autism card. I would love to be able to access a Listen and Learn Centre in South Australia!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mrs Tickle For This Useful Post:

Aquarius77  (18-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi, I forgot about this post from Jan 2013!

We ended up doing the music therapy at Listen and Learn and it worked wonders. We did two sessions: The first some of the activities involved him reading out load whilst listening to music. He was like he always was in tears trying to read (sitting him down to look at a book was impossible and I had given up at home.)
    He missed two weeks of school to do this and we stayed up in Melb at a relative's place.
    He went back to school for about eight weeks? Then we did the second session and stayed in melb again but only for a week this time.
    I was in shock because when we got to the reading part again I was dreading the fight about it but he simply sat down and just started reading No drama!

He jumped from reading level 11 to 18/19 in those 8 weeks. It was like something clicked. Well it did! His hearing basically was tuned up. The psychologist likened it to getting prescriptions for your eyes to help see.

He stopped the frequent requestioning and the struggles to understand instructions have become much less.

I think that he needed to definitely keep going over the strategies of reading at school afterwards because he didn't understand because of his hearing confusion the first time around.

We are supposed to go back every year, but we haven't as it's quite expensive not only the fee but to live in Melbourne for the week too got a bit expensive. Especially as my dh was back home with the other two kids who also got their noses out of joint because they didn't understand why I was away.

In the meantime, both of my sons have been diagnosed with ASD though on the milder end. My youngest also has Verbal Dyspraxia. It was a fun year last year! They are now getting help with OTs and STs through the NDIS funding at Gateways.

Anyway, I hope this helps someone!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Aquarius77 For This Useful Post:

Mrs Tickle  (20-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think because Australia is so far behind in this APD area that it's easier from assessors to shrug and shake their heads...we got that a lot! Though, as harsh as it is to hear it for us, there is more support for kids with Autism here in Geelong so I feel we have been looked after especially through NDIS.

It's amazing the difference of ideas each psych/paed/speechie and OT has though.
    I also sacked our local paediatrician and have the boys with a RCH one, paediatricians shouldn't shrug their shoulders at me. Grrr.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Aquarius77 For This Useful Post:

Mrs Tickle  (20-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    What you have written gives me enormous hope. Thank you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi. I live in Anglesea and am considering taking my daughter to Listen and Learn for Audio Processing assessment. Your story is helpful and inspiring.
    Was it the Tomatis method your son did? Do you think the benefits are ongoing/long term?
    Thanks so much. I know this could be really expensive and time consuming - your feedback might help me decide whether it is worth it. Thanks again. Sonia

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there Siv,

We definitely have had long term success with our DS1

This is the program we did http://listenandlearn.com.au/auditory-training-program/

Yes it was expensive, but well worth it in the end.

I would like to take DS back for refreshers but it's just a bit too expensive.

However just having the initial intensive therapy made such a dramatic difference and now his reading is excellent.

I am truly glad we did this program...academically it helped him clear the fog.

He's also on the spectrum which means he will always have quirks, for example he doesn't read chapter books at home, only at school because home isn't for reading apparently. He is excessively anxious, we are trying to get into a decent psych in Geelong but the last one we tried was a bit of a disaster. His ST and OT at Gateways are awesome so we've got him in there too. The speech therapist also helps with spelling as well. However we're always having IPLs at school and I couldn't be happier.
    The school itself noticed a difference straight away.
    I honestly think we would still be struggling with understanding at school if we hadn't done the training program.

I'm pretty sure my husband has APD; he also struggled at school. But back in that day they just pretty much told him he wasn't smart enough which didn't help anything of course.

Good luck with your child!