+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I find the whole hoopla surrounding AP a little bit silly. Only you know how you parent, nobody else and others commenting of whether you are AP is redundant. In a thread a while back people were saying that AP is not main****** well I think that for the most part it is. Baby wearing, co-sleeping aside the majority of parents would parent in a responsive manner and listen to babies cues regardless of whether they do the obvious AP things. I think Sears coined a phrase which encompasses what most parents do instinctively. I think others have over complicated what is essentially being responsive to your babies needs.

I do whatever works for me on any given day

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

kw123  (28-01-2013),sweetsugardumplin'  (28-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Oh the New York mum who let her kid ride the subway alone! I wish I was as brave as her really. I think because my kids cannot say there name or where they live I do keep quite an eye on them when out and about . I'm not afraid for them to run barefoot, climb, get mucky and I prefer they get out and get messy but I am quite anxious of loosing them . Husband totally different and walks on ahead whilst they run after him . He doesn't like them to get messy though whereas my motto at home is a messy kid is a happy kid!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shelle65 View Post
    Lol.. it's basically the opposite of helicopter parenting.

"Fighting the belief that our children are in constant danger from creeps, kidnapping, germs, grades, flashers, frustration, failure, baby snatchers, bugs, bullies, men, sleepovers and/or the perils of a non-organic grape."

http://www.freerangekids.com/
    I'm this too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by babynomad View Post
    So what's a free range parent? I might be that also .... Both my boys are outside pecking at dirt most days ha ha !

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Maybelline View Post
    well now I know the term CIO ...I did that (stiil do)..I also did CC....but I don't think I used those terms ever..I just would let my girl cry sometimes.."self settle" etc...

I BF for about 3 months then gave up ..way to hard (with my next maybe try for 6 months..no more then that)
    I never wore my baby (I loved my pram to much)
    I never co slept..well maybe a few times when she wouldnt settle..or when we fell asleep cuddling..

I also tried the method of SIS (screaming in shower ..when I was so tired and felt like a crazy zombie)

I also did this a lot LRTB...(leave room take breath)
    Never heard of SIS before.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Parenting 'labels'

Quote Originally Posted by shelle65 View Post
    Lol.. it's basically the opposite of helicopter parenting.

"Fighting the belief that our children are in constant danger from creeps, kidnapping, germs, grades, flashers, frustration, failure, baby snatchers, bugs, bullies, men, sleepovers and/or the perils of a non-organic grape."

http://www.freerangekids.com/
    Ooh yes I like this and sounds a lot
    like my own style.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Parenting 'labels'

Quote Originally Posted by Hokey Pokey View Post
    Never heard of SIS before.
    It was her own acronym, Screaming In Shower!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Hokey Pokey  (28-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    No label properly suits me, and I don't really see the need to label myself anyway.

I make stuff up as I go, basically. There's no grand philosophy backing up my choices... it's just me trying to form my daughter into a decent human being, who respects and considers others, who is confident and happy within herself, etc... I just want her to grow up to be a good, fulfilled person... but I don't think that there's any one philosophy that will guarantee that, so I just do what I think seems to work best FOR HER, FOR ME and FOR THE GOAL.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

Hokey Pokey  (28-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    It was her own acronym, Screaming In Shower!
    Ooohhh now don't I feel silly

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Labels help me to identify playgroups and forums where I won't have to endlessly explain that bed sharing won't kill your baby, that breastfeeding to 2 and (sometimes far) beyond is perfectly ok, that babywearing doesn't suffocate children and yada yada yada. As a mum doing these things, I like to chat with other mums doing these things to learn about them. There seems to be an issue specifically with the label "attachment parent" because somehow using it appears as a reflection on other people's parenting. Sounds a bit like insecurity, really.

If you have no use for a label, don't use one. Simple.

As for all these competitive attachment parents - let's not act like it's limited to a certain "label". The competitiveness is everywhere, and crazy - did your child do xyz by xyz age? Why not? Mine was doing it by xyz age! Better take them to a doctor then to get checked out!
    Or how about losing weight the quickest after birth? Or having the most expensive pram? Or going back to work the fastest/slowest? Toilet training the earliest?... on it goes.