+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Retained product - possible to pass naturally?

Hi Guys,

I had a D&C on Thurs 17th Jan (10 days ago). I had minimal bleeding afterwards and it had stopped within about 12 hours.

2 days ago I had some bleeding that was heavy enough that I needed a pad, but not soaking through, so probably medium flow. It stopped yesterday but has started again today and seems a bit heavier today. I also have some cramping.

My first thought is that it is from retained product, so I'm wondering if it's possible for this to pass naturally or will I need a repeat D&C? I'd prefer not to have another D&C if I can avoid it. Any help/suggestions etc welcomed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

I haven't had a DnC but I would have thought it was impossible to have retained products after that? Wouldn't they have removed everything?

Thanks
    Reviews
    No, they do a D&C 'blind' essentially so they can't actually see what they're doing, just working by feel, so it is possible to have retained product and it is relatively common I believe.

Thanks
    Reviews

I had a similar experience, about 2 weeks after my D&C I was having fresh bleeding and it would always be after I had been active (housework, working out etc). I had a scan and there was a small amount of retained product so I had another D&C. Mostly they were worried about infection if they didn't do it but I also suffered major blood loss in my D&C so was borderline for a transfusion and they couldn't say how much more bleeding there would be.
    I would try to get an ultrasound if you can and then talk with your doctor about options, if there is anything there they might let you try pass it naturally and just watch for any signs of infection. I hope all goes well.

Thanks
    Reviews

God that would suck if you needed another one.

On the plus side I've learnt something new!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Wise Enough For This Useful Post:

MagicGirl79  (27-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah I've heard about people needing repeat D&C's and considering how bad they can be for your uterus, I'd really like to avoid needing another one. I have an appointment this week as a follow-up after the D&C, I'll see how I go in the meantime till then.

Thanks
    Reviews

Yep my friend had to have a repeat d&c due to not getting it all first time. It was really heartbreaking.