+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Don't trust mini pill (breastfeeding)

I found the mini pill made me cranky/sad/nutty but no milk issues. I got the mirena put in 5mths ago and its been fabulous!

Thanks
    Reviews
    all the progesterone only cotraception methods are "ok" for breastfeeding. yes they might affect your milk supply initially but you can build it bck up. I had the mirena for 4.5 years and spent the first day in just feeding, after then it was ok ( and he fed until he was almost three- contraception went in at 6 months) Its just something to keep in mind. the combined pill actually affects your milk worse, so if you were able to cope with the combined pill, you'll be fine with progesterone only methods. best thing about the implanon, and mirena is if you have any problems, it can be removed and the effects stop within a couple of days. Depovera you have to wait until its out of your system... the three motnh injection took 9 months for me. you can always ring up mothersafe or one of the pharmacy lines to check up on medication and suitability with breastfeeding.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Don't trust mini pill (breastfeeding)

Quote Originally Posted by Hokey Pokey View Post
    That's a bugger. I had mine put in within days of childbirth. Yet to have a period return and no problems so far
    I had an implanon in for 3 years. I didn't get a period for a whole year! It was awesome lol
    But I put on a lot of weight which is the only down side to it. I loved it!!

Sent from my GT-I9300T using BubHub

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    The mirena doesn't actually contain progesterone from what I have read recently? Anyway that turned me into a raving cranky *****!

The implanon made me gain 30kg

No lactose free mini pill

Hubby is going for the snip

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yep it is safe while breastfeeding
    Yeps it's definitely safe, we put them in on the maternity ward before discharge

6. The Following User Says Thank You to wannawannabe For This Useful Post:

Hokey Pokey  (27-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

You could try the mirena OP. I was going to go for that option except we want to start trying again *potentially* once bub is 12 months old. So I saw the gyno at 3 months and he said I could wait until she starts solids at 6 months but then why bother with such an invasive procedure just for 6 months worth? He said with breastfeeding and condoms we were pretty safe. But if you don't want any more children it may work for you? Or else the snip for hubby!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If you are breastfeeding exclusively (no bottles, no formula), your baby is under 6 months and you have not had a period then breastfeeding is 98% effective at preventing pregnancy - which is equivalent to the pill and other hormonal methods of contraception.

https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bfi...-contraception

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubbles10 View Post
    If you are breastfeeding exclusively (no bottles, no formula), your baby is under 6 months and you have not had a period then breastfeeding is 98% effective at preventing pregnancy - which is equivalent to the pill and other hormonal methods of contraception.

https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bfi...-contraception
    I would not trust it at all,sorry! I fell pregnant when one of my babies were only 5 months old. She was feeding non stop, around the clock. My periods had not even returned.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wannawannabe View Post
    Yeps it's definitely safe, we put them in on the maternity ward before discharge
    Yep that is when I got mine in

Thanks
    Reviews

I would not trust it at all,sorry! I fell pregnant when one of my babies were only 5 months old. She was feeding non stop, around the clock. My periods had not even returned.
    I'm with you, as I also know people that have fallen pregnant whilst using this method. I remember the woman that ran my ABA bf group saying if you even use a dummy once it can fail.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to kpet For This Useful Post:

Hokey Pokey  (27-01-2013)