+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I could have written this post myself, except add 16 weeks pregnant plus a 4.5 year old to the mix. My nearly 18mth old is doing the same except he goes to bed and to sleep fine, but wakes between 1am and 3am screaming this could last an hour until I bring him to bed with or quiet often he has carried on for over 5hrs. Now he even mucks around and carries on in my bed, so he ends up in the cot screaming. I too am so exhausted. No advise, I've tried camping in his room, just laying him down, patting, music, even tv. I even just ignored him still he was to stubborn to just lay down to sleep.

last night he was a bit better, he started at 4am, bought him into bed with me, he mucked around so at 5 his was but back in his cot to scream 30mins later there was silence.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Rydens Mummy For This Useful Post:

SAgirl  (27-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default DS is having major sleep issues

There is an 18mth sleep regression - dr sears talks about it on his website. We had a rough time with dd1 but it did pass. She would also take forever to sleep, wake overnight for a couple of hrs etc

It does pass. Best wishes

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

SAgirl  (27-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Meet the bluths I also drive mine around for day nap... Gawwwd listen to us!!! So good knowing im not alone.

Sagirl, this has been going on for about 5 months. He's 20 months now so at about 16 months it started.

Going to start recording house of tinny terrors on lifestyle you as they deal with this stuff all the time. I need some tips.

Do you girls want to start a fb support page? For us mummies to share tips and support. I feel I have so much more to write and so little time.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to lilypily For This Useful Post:

SAgirl  (27-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I could have written this post with one exception- DS has never been a good sleeper. DS is now 27 months and it still takes approximately 30-40 minutes for him to settle at night. He has however started sleeping through the night. A couple things we tried:

- moved DS to a bed (we did this at 17 months)
    - stopped anything with lots of sugar after 3pm i.e. biscuits of any kind or even watered down juice
    - found out DS was milk protein intolerant
    - made sure DS had a snack (usually yoghurt) before bath and bed
    - DH does bed time and he has a no nonsense approach- no patting or lying next to DS. He lies on the floor and repeats the same mantra- "close your eyes, go to sleep". So after his milk, story, prayers etc. there is no more fussing.

My DH is the same as yours. He is wonderful in ever aspect but we had a big disagreement over the sleep thing. All I can say is just keeping talking to each other and listening to each others concern.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to CDNinOZ For This Useful Post:

SAgirl  (27-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

My DS has just fallen asleep in my bed after waking an hour after going down. It was like this last night and I persevered with the cot until 4 am then he did fall asleep with me. I would be happy to co sleep if he was but most of the time he hates mummy's bed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

DS was like that. And I desperatly wanted him to sleep in his own room and own bed at 19 months old because my newbie was on her way. DS used to wake a few times a night, not for feeds just need to be resettled. Sometimes takes more than an hour to put to sleep.
    I am against CIO, I have actually tried couple of times and doesn't work. In the end we decided it's easier to co sleep. Theres not enough room in our bedroom now we have a newbie, so I sleep with newbie and DH sleep with DS. And we all get a good night sleep.
    They won't be babies all their life, in a few years time even if you want to snuggle up with them they will probably refuse. Eventually they will grow out of wanting to sleep with us. We are going to let them grow out of it themselves. Because I know I will miss sleeping with them one day

11. The Following User Says Thank You to tubster For This Useful Post:

Ceili  (28-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

My DD is 2.5 and we have been going through this for the last 3/4 months. Both DH and I are not into co-sleeping but in desperate times we have tried and she just plays and thinks its funny so I doesn't work anyway. We have tried everything: patting, singing, CIO, CC, no day nap, phenergan, the list goes on.

She was great perfect SOS sleeper untill October and then it all went pear shaped. We put her in big girl bed just after 2 and she loved it and slept and stayed there, then after a few months regressed after going on a holiday. After 3 weeks of sleepless nights we put her cot back in her room and she sleeps in that most nights. She does settle better in the cot and there is no up an down in the night either. If she is in the bed she comes in at 5am and wants to play and then will not go back to sleep.

There isn't really a point to my post either, I just wanted u to know your not alone! It's exhausting and I am now 26 weeks pg so I have just given up and she is in the cot until she is a bit older.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by headoverfeet View Post
    I'd be telling hubby to suck it up IMO everyone getting a good nights sleep is more important than whatever possessive insecurity he has!

I know that sounds harsh but I find the father expecting the child to sleep alone so he can sleep with his wife totally possessive, and the act that he doesn't help? Maybe he could lend a hand!

I hope someone else has a magical answer for you
    totally agree, babies are dependant on mum, and i think that bubs who are more needy in regards to comfort, must have a stronger survival instinct lol...

hubby is a grown man , your baby is not, who do you think at this stage is more capable emotionally and mentally of sleeping by themselves ? give hubby the couch.....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    OP I just wanted to post back and update that I've had a much better last few nights with DS after his day naps were cut right back.

Day 1 - he fell asleep in car at 10.30am and only napped for an hour. Was in bed asleep by 8pm!

Day 2 - same as day 1.

Day 3 - fell asleep in car for about half hour late morning and that's all. Asleep at 7.50pm!

Woot!!

I did try cutting back his day naps in previous months but couldn't wake him! Or he would stir but then go back to sleep. I tried not giving him a nap a couple if times but he fell asleep on lounge about 4pm and awake again at 6-7pm!

It's often not as easy as saying cut back their day naps but if you can try that, or try to get her down in the morning not arvo it seems to be working for me.

Thanks
    Reviews

Yes I find a 6 am start to the day, 11am 1 hour nap and 7pm bed time works best for us also.