+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Lunch box ideas

DD starts full days of kindy this year and I realised I have idea what food to send her with. She has a morning and afternoon snack which is fruit/veg but what can i send for her lunch break? Sandwich is an obvious idea but not sure on fillings, it can't be refrigerated and I don't trust using ice locks to keep anything cool. She can't take anything with nuts/possible traces of nuts which rules out all things like muesli bars etc.
    I feel like there are lots of obvious options but I'm just drawing a blank so help please.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Lunch box ideas

sushi?
    could make little ham and cheese scrolls ( can add mushroom etc)?
    dip and crackers
    rice cakes with spreads

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    At our kindy they bring the lunch boxes inside in the morning so I just use those 6 can cooler bags with a large ice brick it's still half frozen when I unpack it in the afternoon, just pop the sandwich straight on top of the brick.

Not what you were wanting to hear but they do work well. Each to their own though

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    The weather lately isn't very hot... I'm sure an ice-brick would do fine to keep lunches cool with how the weather is lately (in most parts of Australia).

I think a sandwich would be filling enough - it just depends on what you put in it. Some meat, salad and cheese would be perfectly filling, and if not, then provide some grapes or something like that to snack on during lunch as well.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by EmPowering View Post
    sushi?
    could make little ham and cheese scrolls ( can add mushroom etc)?
    dip and crackers
    rice cakes with spreads
    I think you missed OP saying she didn't like freezer blocks and there was no refrigeration Em

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know you already said veg but - cherry tomatoes, crackers with vegemite, little tin of baked beans, healthy home made muffins?

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Lunch box ideas

Quote Originally Posted by headoverfeet View Post
    I think you missed OP saying she didn't like freezer blocks and there was no refrigeration Em
    sorry too tired to read anyway those ice bricks tend to keep my lunch cold all day when is take it to Uni

Thanks
    Reviews
    Okay, guess I should just use the freezer blocks then. Just being paranoid, I'm new this all day school business

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyMummy View Post
    The weather lately isn't very hot... I'm sure an ice-brick would do fine to keep lunches cool with how the weather is lately (in most parts of Australia).

I think a sandwich would be filling enough - it just depends on what you put in it. Some meat, salad and cheese would be perfectly filling, and if not, then provide some grapes or something like that to snack on during lunch as well.
    guess it depend where you are ....its been about 33 degrees here latley in doors (hotter outside )

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by MothersMilk View Post
    Okay, guess I should just use the freezer blocks then. Just being paranoid, I'm new this all day school business
    I was worried about it too