+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Bubs sleeping in their own room = Sleep through early?

Hmmmm my DH and I have been chatting about babies who have slept through at a young age eg few weeks to 6 months.

He insists that these babies must have been sleeping in their own room rather than with their parents.

We are curious and wonder what the truth is.

If your bub slept through at a very young age, is it really true that he/she has been sleeping in his/her own room?

He tends to think that our two kids don't sleep through at such age cos they were in our room from birth. He feels that if we put our bub in the furthest room of the house he will soon learn to sleep through cos we would tune out his cries being so far away (of cos we aren't going to do this!) . I really don't agree fully cos our bub is super loud and persistent/fierce when he cries, boy he has got these giant set of lungs...even if I was in the garden, I can hear him cry in our room and our land size is 800 SQm, garden one end, my bedroom the other end.

Thanks
    Reviews

Both kids from birth in our room, moved them on their own about 7months, both slept well through the night i can remember a few of those nights were they woke up but fed and back to sleep they went!
    I hope my next baby will be the same!
    Last edited by Zahra723; 27-01-2013 at 11:19.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My ds was a terrible sleeper and he was in our room til 4 months. Our dd was a great sleeper, sleeping from midnight til 5am pretty much straight home from hospital and by 4 - 6 weeks she was sleeping 12 hours a night ... in our room. She stopped sleeping through at around 4 months (typical age for sleep regression), but she was in our room til 5.5 months. I think hearing us in the room with her helped her self settle better than being in her own room from birth.

Thanks
    Reviews

DS was/is a nightmare sleeper. He went into his own room at 13 weeks. DD was a great sleeper, waking once a night then sleeping 12.5 hours straight till 6 months when she regressed. She was in our room till 8 months.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Bubs sleeping in their own room = Sleep through early?

Ds1 really bad sleeper didn't sleep thorough properly until he was about 3-4 yo, he was in his own bed from birth.
    Ds2 (only 6 weeks) has pretty much slept through the night from birth (most nights from 8.30pm - 3.30am) he has been in our room since we got home from hospital. So in our case no sleeping in own room doesn't mean sleeping through. I think by having in our room I don't have to get up to check and know the difference of awake signs/cry to change of asleep cycles. Also I think each child is different with ds1 I don't think been in our room would have made much difference

Sent from my GT-I9300T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD is 12 weeks and a great sleeper, she went to bed at 7.30 last night, cooed to herself in bed about 30 minutes then went to sleep. She has a dream feed at 10.30 and slept through to 6.15.

She has always been really great overnight and has self settled at night without tear from the get go (well mostly). She has been in her own room since about 1 week old.

We have a small place and don't even use a baby monitor. I can hear her squawk or coo or cry from my bed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Babies sleep through?!?!

Can someone let my little guy know?

We moved our treasure not his own cot around 12 weeks, made absolutely no difference to his sleeping patterns.
    We did sleep a tiny bit better not hearing every snuffle & grunt ... Though we do have a monitor so we hear every whinge & cry .... I'm a softie and can't bear him crying for very long .....
    so no sleeping through here ...
    although we are down to only one or two wakings

do what you think is best

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I also think babies in own room sleep better. My sister and I did, and my friends who have awesome sleepers put their kids in their own rooms from birth. I think you would be less likely to wake up for the "not serious" cries, eg as bub moves between sleep cycles etc.

DS was in our room till 8 months (shocking sleeper till 14 months) and DD will be in our room till 5/6 months.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    I don't agree. DS was a shocking sleeper once he hit the four month sleep regression, and didn't start sleeping through consistently until we had a stay at sleep school at 11 months. He was in his own room from birth. When we travelled and had to have him in with us I didn't notice that he was any 'worse' although now that he is generally sleeping through he doesn't sleep as well if he is in our room.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

My DS slept 8 hours from 5-6 weeks, 10 hours from 8-10 wks and 12 hours from 3 months. Bub was in our room at night until 6 months and in his own room for day sleeps from day 3.

I can see how sleeping bub in your own room may lead to them not sleeping through IF the parents are loud people and/or make a fuss at every grunt and groan bubs make.

Especially with older bubs: Babies groan a lot and if a parent tries to fuss over them/feed them at every potential waking (when they probably don't need it) they could be encouraging bub to continue to wake. Big IF though, every bub is different.