+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Klinefelter's syndrome

Anybody who is beginning ivf and have had a diagnosis of klinefelters please join. i thought it would be nice to be able to talk to people going through the same thing.
    I am 23 yrs old and my husband is 29. He was diagnosed with kleinfelters in november12'. Like most, he had no obvious symptoms. Being told he had a zero sperm count was a total shock as he is a fairly young healthy guy. We are now at the stage of having a TESE sperm retrieval on wed to try and find anything. He has been on Clomiphene for a while now and had severe side effects. i hope its been worthwhile and worked. Fingers crossed. Otherwise we will have to go down the path of donor sperm

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Hi freckles, my husband doesn't have Klinefelters but does have azoospermia (zero sperm count) we had to have tese to do IVF. Just wanted to encourage you & let you know if you have any questions about TESE or IVF just let me know. I'm on a really good azoo thread on another forum & there are a few girls there who's partners have Klinefelters (I think one of the girls has started a KF thread) PM me & ill send you a link if you like. Whatever means you use to make your family grow, through IVF or donor sperm; it will be your family & that is the most important thing. Just know you are not alone. All the best xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you for your support. Did u have any sucess with tese?

Thanks
    Reviews

Yes, we were very lucky (although IVF is never an easy journey). We did one exploratory tese in December 2010 & they found sperm (which they froze) on the 1st needle aspiration. We went in April 2011 for a full stimulated cycle & unfortunately the sperm died on defrost (be warned that this is quite common with testicular sperm as the numbers they're dealing with are so minute; I think in my DH's case they only retrieved a total of 29 sperm). So my DH had to have the procedure again. This time they did over 17 needle aspirations with no success, so they had to go in surgically & luckily did find some sperm. They retrieved 12 eggs from me, 8 fertilised & 3 made it to day 5. Our 1st (fresh) transfer resulted in a pregnancy that ended in miscarriage at 6 weeks. Our second transfer (frozen) was not successful & our final embryo, which was a frozen also, is now kicking & swirling in my belly as I'm 36 weeks pregnant. We consider ourselves extremely lucky/blessed as it is not an easy journey. I still remember my world feeling like it was falling apart when we found out about the zero sperm count; so I really feel for you guys. One thing I will say about the tese, which seems to be common from other women I know from the azoo thread & in most cases they don't warn you about is the ongoing testicular pain that DH may experience. (You may not want to let DH know this info) We're nearly 2 years post tese & DH still suffers daily with pain. The other thing we weren't warned about is that if your DH has small testes (they might call it low testicular volume) which my DH does (well he only has one descended & that is small) & I understand is common with Klinefelters, even the tiny volume they remove for tese can affect testosterone production. My DH's already low testosterone dropped significantly after tese, especially the surgical removal. He has been on a drug called anastrazole which is actually a breast cancer drug, but in men it suppresses oestrogen production, therefore increasing testosterone production. It worked wonders for DH at the beginning but recently the side effects have become too much, so he's had to stop it. As I'm sure you know, they can't have straight testosterone as long as you are ttc, as it upsets the bio feedback & the testes will stop producing any sperm at all. I hope I haven't overloaded you with info & I know I'm not a KF wife, but I know how overwhelming & isolating it can seem. How is your DH coping? I know my DH has had a major identity crisis & didn't feel like a 'real man' it's been so sad to watch. Once again, let me know if you want me to pm you those links. There are some amazing women on there & quite a few who've gone the donor route too. All the best xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow thanks for the heads up about tese. Is it severe pain? my dh has been on clomid and that's an anti oestrogen to try to raise his testosterone before the durgery. he cant be on it forever though as the side effects are horrible.As you know it is such a difficult journey with ivf. I am glad i can talk to someone who's been through it all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Those links would be great thankyou.

Thanks
    Reviews

Just trying to work out how to pm you on my iPhone. Sorry it's taking a while. May have to get on computer tomorrow to do it. The girls on the azoo thread are an awesome resource & support & like I said there are girls on there who's partners have KF too & they'll be especially helpful to you. Re. the tese, I think every man varies in the amount of ongoing pain they experience & you never know your DH might be one of the lucky ones that doesn't have ongoing pain. Just thought I'd let you know though, cause it seems to be pretty common that the Drs don't fill you in on the possibility. For my poor hubby, he's really suffered, but he also has a possible diagnosis of testicular cancer which our urologist has been taking a wait & watch approach with, so if he does have it (which I hope he doesn't) then I guess that could contribute to his pain. Will be thinking about you guys this week; it's such a tough roller coaster of emotions. xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you for your support. I'll keep u updated on how we go. Hope your dh is ok and good luck for the next month, getting close!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Just want to wish you all the best

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you hokey pokey