+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Article in Daily Life re an obese 7 year old

I just read an interesting article (an extract from a book) regarding a mother putting her obese daughter on a diet.

On one hand I feel like it's important to prioritise your children's health and to do whatever it takes to make them healthy, but it seems like a harsh way for her daughter to learn about healthy eating.

I really hope I'm not opening a can of worms here and as my DD is only 12 weeks, I have no experience with children and eating, I just found the topic very interesting.

http://www.dailylife.com.au/lifestyl...126-2dd0b.html

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    It doesn't say she is over weight, or did I miss that part?

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    It says she weighed 45kg in the beginning.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

Hokey Pokey  (26-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    it said the lil girl as 45kg at 7...then lost 10kg over the year and was a healthy weight of 35kg at 8.

It doesn't say height or anything so I am guessing it was significant. My 8 year old boy is 30kg and he is skinny build (perfect weight for him though).

It is a tough one...we are conscious of what we eat and speak to DS a lot about balance and health and the food groups etc. If he didn't exercise as much as he does...we would watch his food intake closer.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to River Song For This Useful Post:

Hokey Pokey  (26-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Thanks

My first thought was why did the parents let her get overweight, they could have saved her going through all of that... but then plenty of children eat healthily anyway...

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    The mum's an idiot. To feed your child a small meal with no protein and then offer only fruit when she claims to be hungry. The nicoise salad was a much more healthful choice because it included healthy fats and protein. I can only assume this mother was not being guided by professionals on how her daughter should be eating.

Also, I think it is really important to remember that there are *sometimes* foods, so a few m'n'm's or a cookie at a party shouldn't be turned into a battle ground. I worry that this little girls associations with food may be damaged and be linked to feeling humiliated in public/social situations. And Mum is kidding herself if she thinks that no one noticed her admonishing her daughter for looking at cookies.

That said, naturally addressing a weight problem is important, but some ways of doing it have a better lasting effect.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SpecialPatrolGroup For This Useful Post:

dancingchipmunk  (26-01-2013),headoverfeet  (26-01-2013),Mathermy  (26-01-2013),risfaerie  (26-01-2013)

αληθη is offline BH name read as Aleethee
    Winner 2012 - One most likely to be hacked by Nomsie
    Thanks
    Reviews

I like how the little girl saw it. I also really dislike the mother. Having a couple cookies or m&ms at a party shouldn't be strict, it's not like she's doing it all the time, and if she's so worried why not go outside and pay a game of soccer or football or something with her for some more exercise?
    When I grew up, healthy food was seen as negative and no one ate it. On the weekends I'd eat a healthy breakfast and I'd always eat healthy dinners but I constantly snacked and lived on junk food. I exercised like crazy and was always chubby but thin at the same time. That is unhealthy. I may not have been obese but I had so much junk in my mouth which I'm surprised hasn't given me any horrible consequences yet. That sort of thing needs to be changed through attitude, not through stressing and being depressed by a strict diet. You need balance, moderation and plenty of exercise.

Thanks
    Reviews
    She asked the little girl to choose...would she like chocolate, cookies or cake...she didn't take her to a party and she she could have nothing.

She mentions doing karate and walking...and she also mentions her life long battle with her weight. It doesn't sound like she was being fed rubbish before...just having really big portions and constantly snacking...but I have not read the whole thing.

I make DS make choices with his food...not because he is overweight but because I want him to learn about good choices. He loves salad lol I often have him saying how hungry he is when in fact he is bored/thirsty...so i redirect him.

It also seems all her friends all agreed her child needed to lose weight.

I would be interested to read more...I don't think the article gives enough information to know if she did it badly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Uugh it's hard to explain, but I really really dislike how that mother did things.
    The reaction of the little girl at the end said it all. She still felt like c**p. and what the heck, her mum asking her if she felt better or thought she looked better??!! Way to give the kid a complex at the age of 8!

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 4underfour For This Useful Post:

αληθη  (26-01-2013),SpecialPatrolGroup  (26-01-2013),WorkingClassMum  (26-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I read the article and was very uncomfortable about it - she went about it in the worst way possible IMO and has set her DD up for a life of food issues and a struggle. Granted it was done out of love but I think it probably did. Nearly as much psychological damage as the potential physical damage.

My nephew was overweight when he came into our family at the age of 4 and was a food thief due to his life before.

My sister has struggled with his weight for 10 years without my nephew ever knowing. She has maintained his weight and allowed him to grow into it. It's only in the last couple of week that she's started pointing out his food choices and his food stealing are now his problem and she will help him. In the mean time he is only very slightly overweight and his GP is very very pleased with the work my sister has done.

Looking after a child's weight does not need confrontation alike this mother set up for her daughter - one extra cookie at a party simply should have meant a bit of extra walking and a slightly smaller dinner. Sure her daughter now looks good but has lost her self confidence and innocence