+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Irritable Bowel Syndrome

Happy to change my diet if it works... That's what I have been doing so far. What's mintec??? I was only told I may have it yesterday so haven't tried anything except changing diet and probiotics... Just need to know it gets better coz I am so sad I can't look After my baby properly

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Irritable Bowel Syndrome

The sudden onset and severity doesn't really sound like ibs. More like an infection. Maybe get a second opinion? If you've previously had problems then hormonal and emotional changes may be making it worse. I used to carry imodium with me everywhere I went (fyi gastrostop is the same thing for a lot cheper) but although I still have episodes I find that for me imodium just stopped me pooping but then made me desperate for a pee so I preferred to just find a loo and let it pass. Imodium would likely dry up your breastmilk too if you are or would like to be breastfeeding.

I've suffered with ibs and the changes I found that improved things for me were to take iron supplements. I had really low ferritin levels. Many people find iron makes them constipated but for me it just made me more regular. If you lost a lot of blood during the birth this might help. I also avoid certain foods which I think are triggers. For me it's cooked tomato and capsicum skin (the high fibre goes straight through). I also used to drink a lot of V (before ttc) and the dietitian suggested the concentrated caffeine was also an irritant. I ended up seeing a gastroenterologist and having an endoscopy but nothing is wrong with me.

Hope it sorts itself out soon. The stress of it all won't be helping at all.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

Hey, are you sure it's not a reaction to the antibiotics? I second the probiotics.. You've stopped the antibiotics now haven't you? Give it some time for the probiotics to kick in. If it doesn't improve please get a second opinion!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Irritable Bowel Syndrome

Did you get any tests done to diagnose IBS? IBS is basically diagnosed by elimination, so they should do tests to make sure it's not celiacs, crohns, ulcerative colitis etc. before diagnosing you with IBS.

I'm only saying this because I was misdiagnosed with IBS for over 3 years because my Dr just decided not to test me for anything. I eventually found a Dr that was willing to do the tests and was then diagnosed with ulcerative colitis (a few years down the track that was changed to crohns, but it's at least treated the same).

Unfortunately UC and IBS treatments are completely opposite, so all the while I was treating myself for IBS, I was actually making myself worse.

However I second aloe vera juice. I buy the yoosh brand from woolies, which has honey in it, and it's really quite yummy.

Good luck with getting some relief!

Sent from my GT-I9305 using BubHub

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Disbride For This Useful Post:

beebs  (28-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

I am heading to hospital this morning. I was up all night with loose bowel movements and stomach pains... Can't eat or drink... Been two weeks and I am exhausted. Imodium isn't working now I need a drip or something to rehydrate me to start with

Thanks
    Reviews

Get them to test for Cdiff!!!!!
    You can get it from antibotics and its symptoms are diarrhoea and cramping its terrible and can be mistaken for ibs....

Thanks
    Reviews

Ask then to test for Cdiff it's an infection in the bowel caused by antibiotics it's symptoms are diarrhoea and cramping and it's sometimes mistaken for ibs!!!!
    Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews

Ask then to test for Cdiff it's an infection in the bowel caused by antibiotics it's symptoms are diarrhoea and cramping and it's sometimes mistaken for ibs!!!!
    Good luck
    😀

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks I will. I am going to stress that I was on a lot on antibiotics....fingers crossed. I called the hospital I gave birth in last week and they didn't care told me to go to a gp as they don't do after care except the 6 month check... So hopefully this hospital helps me

Thanks
    Reviews

Update. Admitted to hospital suspected c diff . Just waiting for more tests but dr is so sure he has me on antibiotics already.