+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Exclamation 6mo refusing to eat - help!

DD is 6 months old and has one serious cold. She is so congested she can't eat and breathe at the same time. Obviously her body has decided breathing trumps feeding and she's literally had 60mls since 11pm last night.

At what point do I take her to the doctor (which in this town means taking her to the emergency department)?? I don't want to seem like an over-paranoid first time mum :P

Thank you!

Thanks
    Reviews
    There should be a child maternal health line for your state or something similar
    Is dd still having wet nappies, does she look alert? The urine output is key. But given the fact it's summer and she's little give the helpline a call for piece of mind

Thanks
    Reviews
    She had a really wet nappy when she woke up this morning but only one nappy change since. She's alert but she's incredibly exhausted from lack of sleep (she wakes up freaking out coz shes congested) so shes not as active as she normally is.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by pilbarablossom View Post
    She had a really wet nappy when she woke up this morning but only one nappy change since. She's alert but she's incredibly exhausted from lack of sleep (she wakes up freaking out coz shes congested) so shes not as active as she normally is.
    Plz give the nurses helpline a call or take her down to be checked out. Let us know how it goes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you Im going to take her down to the hospital after giving it a bit more thought. Better to be safe than sorry.
    x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I think going to get her seen to is a very wise choice. Hope she is ok!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: 6mo refusing to eat - help!

My son had a really bad viral infection and was extreamly congested, I found that if I steamed up the bathroom before putting him in the bath it really helped to clear out his nose, I did this in the morning and before putting him to bed I also sat and spoon fed him his formula,tricky and a lil messy and it took a while but, he wouldn't drink his bottle because he couldn't breath,

Good luck..its hard as a mum watching our LO like this
    Sent from my ZTE T60 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Weve just got back from the hospital.

She's got adnoiditis which is making it tricky to swallow and breathe. If she doesn't start eating in the next 24-48 hrs she'll be admitted to hospital and have a tube put down her nose so they can feed her that way. Fingers crossed it doesn't get to that.

Great idea about spoon feeding the formula. I'll give that a go. Weve got the vaporisor in the bedroom but i might try the bathroom trick. Thank you x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Glad you got it checked out. The spoon is a good idea but you can also get plastic syringes from a pharmacy and they have the added benefits if less mess and knowing exactly how much fluids dd is getting! the next 24/48 hours see an improvement and no hospital admission is needed. On that note, trust your instinct and if you are in any way concerned insist dd gets checked again. The wet nappy checks are always a good indicator!! Take care

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Carpe diem 2013 For This Useful Post:

pilbarablossom  (26-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default 6mo refusing to eat - help!

Oh PB! Your poor little one, I hope she starts feeling better soon. Hugs to you both.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Taiyed For This Useful Post:

pilbarablossom  (26-01-2013)