+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm not in the health industry but work rotating shifts in a white-collar office environment. We work 6 shifts (2 mornings/2 arvos/2nights) followed by 3 days off - the first of which is normally spent sleeping after nightshift.

DH is also a shiftworker, he's part-time and works Fri/Sat/Sun afternoons & evenings at our local airport.

Really worried about childcare when the time comes to return to work - I'm the main wage-earner so I will be going back as soon as my mat leave finishes. And then we will have to get care to cover the times when we are both working Fri/Sat/Sun. I feel a bit and when I think about it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Shift worker here... 5 on 5 off.. a woman in a mans job!!
    And I dislike it sooo much!
    Just as well I get paid well!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to NewMrs For This Useful Post:

risfaerie  (25-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by NewMrs View Post
    Shift worker here... 5 on 5 off.. a woman in a mans job!!
    And I dislike it sooo much!
    Just as well I get paid well!
    The pay is the perk, isn't it? It's what gets me through the crappy nights!

Sent from my GT-N8010 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think with jobs like this then pay is the only thing that keeps me here!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Im an rn with the most random rosters. No pattern to them at all. I do 8 shifts a fortnight and cant wait for mat leave to start. Its going to be so nice of having a few weeks of going to bed and getting up at the same times each day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    How many hours per shift mkj? We do 12s, maximum 6 a fn. I am return to work/mat leave, I only do 4 a fn, which is enough for me with the two kids. I plan to stay part time for as long as physically possible!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ladies do any of you access child-care during your shifts at all?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm a shift worker and have used Family Day Care for my son for the last 4 years. I work a random roster at 0.6 FTE and have always been lucky enough to be able to request my shifts. My husband works office hours so that's made things easier. I just booked 3 regular days a week of daycare and then just told my manager the days I couldn't work and they were happy to accommodate that. Not sure where everyone is but I think there is currently a trial in Queensland matching Family Day Care providers who are happy to work extended hours with shift workers if that helps anyone. The worst thing I've found is 12 hour day shifts when I wouldn't see my son at all. Sucked when I,worked several days in a row, I think he forgot who I was!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm a shift worker (nightfill) I work from 6pm till midnight then 7pm till 4am on a rotating roster four nights per week. I sleep all day Saturday and half of sunday to catch up on my sleep while dh looks after the kids. During the week I have good days where housework gets done and bad days where I laze on the couch all day while I try to get tv to babysit dd age 2 lol. I did try to put her in family day care one day per week while I caught up on sleep but it was more effort to pack her lunch, dress her, pack the bag, get myself dressed and take her there/pick her up! lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DH works 9-5, Mon- Fri. My mum works Thur-Sat. My dad works random shifts (bus driver).
    My DS goes to daycare Friday, DD Thur and Fri.

We just muddle along, occasionally if I've come off nights and there is no care I stay awake, occasionally DD misses dancing or swimming as I'm buggered, and I always feel about one step away from going on strike!

Not always the best life, but I earn a fair amount if money to only work a couple of (long) days a week, so in the end it is unfair to complain!

Sent from my GT-N8010 using The Bub Hub mobile app