+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Any shift workers out there?

I am currently bored out of my brain two hours into a twelve hour Australia Day shift, and I was wondering: any other shift workers out there in bubhub land?

I work a rotating roster, and in the last two months I have managed to work Christmas, New Years, and now Australia Day. I must be extra lucky, because when I was looking at the roster matrix, I discovered that I will most probably be working Easter as well!

Anyone else in this boat?

Thanks
    Reviews
    In the middle of my rotation too, don't mind working public holidays due to penalties and DF usually has them off.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to DressageQueen For This Useful Post:

risfaerie  (26-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't mind working them either in general, but I came in today and found out that we don't get penalties for this shift! Gah! I'm sure I got them last time I worked a special event on a weekend.

DH is off too, it is a bonus, I just get the lonelies occasionally when I realise that I am missing all the fun stuff . Pay day does make it tolerable!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

Default Re: Any shift workers out there?

Shift worker here. Just did 5 on and having my one day off today then back tomorrow arvo for 2 days. Was meant to work tuesday but cancelled my shift due to it being first day back at school but then back again wedneaday-friday with possibly having to work on the weekend.

Work called me up today to work this afternoon but i missed their call and would of had to have said no anyway as i so tired from working atm.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm also a shift worker though was off today. Was bored out of my brain as DH started work 2pm and dosnt finish to 2am, ah boring!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Myztiks #1 Fan, hats off to you. Your roster sounds nuts! I guess I shouldn't whinge, with 12 hour shifts one of the benefits is not actually having to go to work too often.

Clucky14, I'm on the most random shift today -1130- 2330. Normally we do 0700-1900 or 1900 - 0700, I don't know what to do with myself with this shift. I will get sleep tonight which will be a bonus!

So nice to know there is a few of us around!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

I am a casual and usually only get rostered 2 shifts a week so have to take what i can get. I usually do morning shifts which are either 6.5hrs, 7.6 or 8hrs and one afternoon a shift on a tuesday each week from 1:30pm til 10pm.

Sometimes i will do OT if i have help with a sitter which is usually weekends and can usually do OT 2 days in a row which is exhausting.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I did OT this week and it almost killed me, but I had to top up my pay for this fortnight. Went to work today for my 1500-0300 but went home at 1630 due to feeling faint with low BP and then had to sit at the doctor's for 2.30 hours for a certificate! Hopefully I can do my shift tomorrow as I'm down to sick leave without pay until April.

Thanks
    Reviews

I asked for OT tonight as did many others but we were all rejected as work would rather have agency in as they are 'cheaper' to have working than us despite agency being on a higher hourly rate and they cant pay us anymore than double time and a half as they wont pay double time half on top of double time half with public holiday so we all would of been at max hourly rate from midnight anyway.

Many are going to call in sick tomorrow as they will all get paid for it anyway as they are all permanate staff but i will go as only casual so wont get paid for it if i dont go.

Thanks
    Reviews

We barely get ot anymore, they are just running us short staffed. Actually they are running us so short staffed that we are barely able to perform our roles. Yay cost cutting!

I am lucky that our immediate supervisory team are pretty awesome though. I have been up all night with dd who has been sick, and I am supposed to be on a 1900 start. Just rang work and explained that I will not be able to take her and Ds to care tomorrow as they have both been sick, so supervisor has swapped me for a 1500 start, meaning a couple hours sleep before dh goes to work. That kind of flexibility is a definite perk.

Morale at our work is so low lately, I just have to keep reminding myself that we have been through low times before, there is usually a light at the end of the tunnel....right?

Sent from my GT-N8010 using BubHub