+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Going to the snow with a 6 week old

So DH has wanted to go back to the snow for a while now, but we never could get the time off. This June will be our second wedding anniversary and 3 years from when he proposed (at the snow and at the same place I want to stay this time). I was going to surprise him with a weekend or so down at Perisher. The only problem is our baby girl will be roughly 6 weeks old. Does anyone have any insight into taking a newborn to the snow? Is it too much of a temperature change? Will she be ok if I have her in nice warm clothes and a blanket? Or should I stay at home with our daughter and send him and a friend to the snow instead?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Do you plan on having the baby out in the snow, or are you staying at a lodge or something?

Thanks
    Reviews

We would be saying just out of Jindabyne in a cabin. But DH would want to go snow boarding at Perisher, so would probably spend at least a day in the snow. But while DH snow boarded, I would try and stay inside as much as possible.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    If your going to be staying inside you may as well save your money and not go... I know I would hate it if my DH was out having all the fun!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I think she would be fine as long as she's not exposed to it too much. Where I live gets snow in winter and I've had both my babies out in it for short periods of time. As long as you're happy watching hubby have all the snow fun I say go for it

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Chippa For This Useful Post:

us3  (31-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I would totally go and as long as dressed warmly when outside there is no issue.

Plenty of babies live in cold and snowy places

8. The Following User Says Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

us3  (31-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks ladies I appreciate it! I really just wasn't sure if a baby could go anywhere as cold as the snow, completely forgetting babies live in places it snows all the time. I was even born in a place it snows, and it was winter! Obviously I've got some bad baby brain. Haha.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Re: Going to the snow with a 6 week old

Another thing u need to consider is how are u getting there ??
    Do u need to fly ? If so the minimum age to fly is 6 weeks I believe .
    Your bub may arrive late therefore not being old enough to fly (it can really hurt there little ears due to the air pressure)

What's the climate where u live ? Will it be a drastic change ?

If u are going to stay I doors in the lodge and hubby out boarding I'd think that's a bit boring for you and maybe a bit of a waste .... ..how will hubby feel out on the snow by himself ? Might not be his idea of fun either ?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Re: Going to the snow with a 6 week old

I'm pretty sure you can fly with bubs from 2wks. I probably wouldn't go though, its pretty cold and you'd need proper snow gear if going outside, i don't think blankets would work, bub would get really hot with lots of blankets to keep her from getting cold

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Quote Originally Posted by *Need~More~Coffee~Please* View Post
    Another thing u need to consider is how are u getting there ??
    Do u need to fly ? If so the minimum age to fly is 6 weeks I believe .
    Your bub may arrive late therefore not being old enough to fly (it can really hurt there little ears due to the air pressure)

What's the climate where u live ? Will it be a drastic change ?

If u are going to stay I doors in the lodge and hubby out boarding I'd think that's a bit boring for you and maybe a bit of a waste .... ..how will hubby feel out on the snow by himself ? Might not be his idea of fun either ?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using BubHub
    You can fly with bubs from 7 days and earlier with a doc cert, i don't believe there is any concern in regards to an impact on their ears.
    Our DD flew at 3wks, 5wks and will again at 9wk and 10wks.

If you think you will enjoy it, go for it. Is this your first? You might find you don't enjoy hanging around Perisher with a newborn though, without comfortable seating, your own facilities etc. I know the toilets are disgusting I don't know what their change facilities etc are like. Having said that we went for the day when I was pregnant and because it was a beautiful day I was more than happy to stand outside in the snow and watch everyone, eat donuts and drink hot chocolate. My recommendation would be to make sure your accommodation is comfortable and nice, somewhere you enjoy spending time inside and can be entertained all day, consider looking into somewhere like Perisher Manor (basic rooms are very basic but next ones up would be fantastic with a bub) on snow so you and hubby can still spend time together during the day and you have your facilities right there.

I haven't spent time there in winter but I believe Thredbo has better facilities for non skiers, but obviously you can make that decision on the day.