+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Help - gastro!!

MY 7 month old son started vomiting last Saturday. The entire house had gastro and everyone else was fine again after 24 hours. My son has been spewing for a week now!!!!

We went to the GP at day 3, he said he wasnt dehydrated too much, still had dribble and was alert and relatively happy considering. Told me to ride it out. At day 5 we had an appointment with his pediatrician (this had been scheduled for months, as follow up from being born prem). He was happy with his growth and development, despite loosing weight over the week of illness. He wasnt really concered about the gastro, said it was common in a baby to last for around 5 days but that he may have developed a lactose intolerance from the tress on his gut but to ride it oiut and go back to my GP if im concered.

Well today is day 8 and he is still projectile vomiting. Not all the time and not every feed. He is happy and sleeping but still spewing and pooing. I wont be able to get into my GP until after the public holiday, and then i dont have a great deal of confidence in him.

Anyone had experience in this?
    Should i be trying a lactose free formula? Whats out there?

Not sure what to do?
    He is not unwell enough to sit in emergency for the entire day but im struggling to see the end of this and dont know what to do?

Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Yep gastro destroys the lining of the gut. I would avoid lactose for a few good weeks to let the tummy heal.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Hokey Pokey For This Useful Post:

Doc  (26-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Help - gastro!!

You could also try probiotics. A health food store will have ones specifically for babies. It will replenish the gut flora that the gastro has knocked off.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sakabla For This Useful Post:

Doc  (26-01-2013),Hokey Pokey  (26-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you, Thank you, thank you...
    It makes sense, im just struggling to see past this haze of tiredness and this mountain of washing...

I dont have access to a health food store where i live over the weekend, can babies have Yakult, i think its called, that can be bought at the supermarket?
    Is yoghurt any good? I know it has good bacteria but is this lactose too?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Yoghurt is great to have as it is a natural probiotic

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Maybe also a frozen hydrolyte icey-pole?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Help - gastro!!

Yes try and avoid the lactose. I took my daughter to ED for a similar thing after she woke up from a night sleep with a dry nappy. The dr told me to avoid milk as the stomach can't handle it (the milk was literally going straight through her)