+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 6 month old not having day sleeps suddenly

DS is 6 months and up until 2 weeks ago was having 3 day sleeps, they were never long maybe 1.5hrs would be the longest but now he is lucky to have 45mins in the whole day.
    Its driving us all nuts because he is so tired but just wont sleep and if he does its on the boob and if I try to put him in bed asleep he wakes up and screams.
    I have tried rocking, patting, shhhing and if he is just winging I have left him for a while but I cant leave him if he is distressed. He doesnt take a dummy he just plays with it.
    The annoying thing is sometimes he is so tired that he falls asleep but 5 seconds later he wakes up.
    He is too alert to go to sleep in the pram - i would have to push him for hours.
    He sleeps through the night so I shouldnt complain but he is so tired during the day and gets black bags under his eyes. Im exhausted mentally from it and my house looks like ****.

Sorry for the long post but has anyone else experienced this? Did it pass? Any tips?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    can you babywear? cos the bub would get their sleep in there at least.

will bub sleep next to you on your bed? or you both on a mattress on the floor?

Thanks
    Reviews
    6 months is a common time to drop from 3 to 2 sleeps a day, with a longer awake time inbetween. Have you tried switching your schedule around at all? If he will sleep on you, maybe try and just go with it for a few days so he gets the sleep that he needs and is less tired. Then try again getting him to sleep on his own.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Just keep persevering!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

My DS dropped his late arvo nap at 6 months. He has two naps now - an hour in the morning and maybe 45mins/hour around lunchtime.

It's so much less than other babies his age but they are all different and he manages ok on it for the most part. By bed time he can be a bit grumpy though! He won't sleep longer though and the few times I have tried were too painful and not worth it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My DS dropped to one sleep at 6 months.

If he will fall asleep on the boob, can you lie down with him to feed, and then leave him where he is when he drops off? If your bed is not safe, use a mattress on the floor.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Quote Originally Posted by ilovehats View Post
    6 months is a common time to drop from 3 to 2 sleeps a day, with a longer awake time inbetween. Have you tried switching your schedule around at all? If he will sleep on you, maybe try and just go with it for a few days so he gets the sleep that he needs and is less tired. Then try again getting him to sleep on his own.
    I agree. DD used to only take her afternoon sleep/3rd sleep in the car or pram, so I knew when she fought her last sleep it was time to give it up. This was at 6 months.

So I just pushed her first nap out by 15 minutes and her second sleep out by 30 minutes, this way it was less awake time in between the second nap and bedtime wasn't too far apart. I slowly have been moving each nap further apart and at nearly 11 months she now naps at around 9:30 and around 3.

Maybe begin a log of when he feeds, wakes and falls asleep and see if there is a pattern there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Can you try dropping to 2 naps and then pushing the time between naps out?

Thanks
    Reviews
    We are still trying. I have a huge struggle to get him to have one sleep a day and this has been going on for 2 weeks. Some days he falls asleep on the boob and I just sit there, I will try laying with him but he always thinks its play time in our bed.
    Hopefully its just a phase because he is actually really tired and grumpy. Im a bit more positive today as DH has been helping out over the weekend giving me a break.