+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm very lucky, no one who knows me makes assumptions about me as I have always been "different". Most still assume that one day I will meet "the one" and change my mind, but whatever, they can believe in fairy tales if they want, I'm certainly not willing to bet my hard-earned money that my expectations of a partner will ever be met.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to shelle65 For This Useful Post:

SimplyMum  (29-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mummabearto2 View Post
    I got told by a customer the other day at work that he felt sorry for me being a single parent because no man really wants to date someone with kids already as it causes complications...umm thanks!! He then proceeds to ask me out for coffee...yeah when hell freezes over.
    Oh you let that one get away? He sounds like a real charmer!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Single Parents - what assumptions do people make about you?

People always assume that DP is DS's dad.

A few weeks ago DS had an injury and we ended up at the hospital. From the minute we got in there it was "dad" this and "dad" that. I couldn't handle it anymore when the doctor kept addressing DP and wouldn't even look at me when discussing treatment for DS. I had to set everyone straight. So awkward!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HugsBunny View Post
    When I first left XH, I had a lot of people saying to me 'oh it must be so hard for you being a single mum' to which I replied 'I did it all on my own before I left XH anyway so there's really no change for me. The only real difference is that my house stays clean :-)'
    Yeah I get that too. "Wow it must be hard doing the dinner and bathing routine on your own".... ermmmm....... nope, same as ever!!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

HugsBunny  (27-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by CMF View Post
    Yeah I get that too. "Wow it must be hard doing the dinner and bathing routine on your own".... ermmmm....... nope, same as ever!!
    Yeah lol I used to do it ALL before I left so there was no change at all in that department; and I actually have snarky judgemental thoughts about the parents who both have to be hands on during dinner, bath and bed with just one baby. It's very petty but its just like " well I did it, quitcher b itching, it's quite literally not difficult to feed, bathe and settle a baby single-handedly!!"

Like I said, very judgemental... But I don't care

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Week ended 24/7/2014100 Posts in a week

I get told things like "oh he's a daddy's boy" or "does daddy take you bike riding" etc. I never know if u should correct people or not, especially in front of the kids.

I always get asked about my financial situation as well, people assume that I get a truck load off C/L and CSA.

Thanks
    Reviews

I'm only recently a single parent & I must say, because of society assumptions, I'm having a real hard time admitting it to the public yet.

This is probably made worse by the fact I'm also pregnant. The stigma attached to being a single mum AND pregnant is just awful. People assume its a different fob etc Uumm no, just my DH turned out to be a commitment phobe

So apart from my family that are very worried for me naturally...the only comment I've had from friends or acquaintances that annoys me is the finances.

People find it perfectly acceptable to ask if DH is paying CS and helping with mortgage etc which is something they never would have discussed had I have still been married. Just because I'm single doesn't give you the right to pry in to my finances. Not to mention the fact I earned same as DH at the time anyway!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Marepoppin View Post
    Yeah lol I used to do it ALL before I left so there was no change at all in that department; and I actually have snarky judgemental thoughts about the parents who both have to be hands on during dinner, bath and bed with just one baby. It's very petty but its just like " well I did it, quitcher b itching, it's quite literally not difficult to feed, bathe and settle a baby single-handedly!!"

Like I said, very judgemental... But I don't care
    You're only human. Secretly I feel uber-proud of myself when people nearly fall over at the thought that I can look after TWO children on my own, as they can barely cope with one whilst having a partner on hand!! But seriously, if they found themselves in the same situation they'd probably find a way to manage it all too. You have to be tested before you know what your true capabilities are. That's the only difference between us and them, in that sense.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MermaidSister For This Useful Post:

HugsBunny  (29-01-2013),Izy  (29-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Single Parents - what assumptions do people make about you?

Quote Originally Posted by Mummabearto2 View Post
    I got told by a customer the other day at work that he felt sorry for me being a single parent because no man really wants to date someone with kids already as it causes complications...umm thanks!! He then proceeds to ask me out for coffee...yeah when hell freezes over.
    If you had gone out with him, he would have assumed that you would be greatful for the attention. When I first moved to QLD as a single mum, my neighbours at the time assumed I would be so desperate for male 'companionship' that I would welcome her alcoholic father who was 30 years older than me. I soon put an end to that one. Or my favourite was the fellow down the road who saw me and my daughters going fishing and asked if their daddy had taught them to fish. My daughter promptly said 'no, mum taught us'. The expression on his face was classic!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

13. The Following User Says Thank You to ARCTICJULZ For This Useful Post:

Ellewood  (29-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I don't actually know if people do think this way but this is what I feel (might be my own insecurities)

I'm a drop kick bludger Mum. That all I'm looking for is a way (or a guy) to get pregnant to again so I can live happily ever after (or for the next 8 years anyway) on the single parent pension.