+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Single Parents - what assumptions do people make about you?

I seem to be having a week of utter frustration this week which is most inconvenient! I guess everything comes to a head sometimes and you just need to vent it out

Anyway, I am really fed up with people assuming that just because I'm a single mother I must:

- Be desperate to find a guy, preferably a rich one (and the sooner the better so I don't try to steal their husbands, or convert their wives to the dark side)

- Be fine with anyone moving in with me any time because I must love the company and its really helping me out. In the case of family, no permission required just move right in and never leave!

- Assume I am public property and therefore it's perfectly ok for people to ask about my financial situation!

- Never get cranky because god forbid I'm not easy-going and pleasant at all times as that's a sure sign I need a good ro.ot!

They could not be more wrong!! I'm just fine thanks.

Theyre not all like that though thankfully - there's plenty of the opposite kind of envy but the majority are definitely incredibly presumptuous and warped in their thinking.

Thanks
    Reviews
    hmmm people around here are mostly ok, which is surprising as it's mostly all happy families here.

The most common assumptions that I have are about CS; either they assume that the dad is a rotten scoundrel who doesn't pay anything, or, the dad is involved and pays a sh!tload of CS. When I tell them the amount I actually get, which is the amount that is required of him by CSA, they are horrified.

Everything else is pretty ok, yes I do openly get asked about finances but I've never seen finances as a taboo topic like most people do, and especially now as a single mum, if I can make a few sheltered people open their eyes to how tough it is financially for single mothers then I think that's a good thing.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

Happy2be3  (27-01-2013),HugsBunny  (26-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I'm not a single parent now, but was with my first. I was 15 years with a new baby and no partner. The comments and assumptions from people were very hurtful. I was told many times that I was a nobody, would be a nothing.

If only they could see me now!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey CMF,

I can see your points but I don't think I can generalise regarding finances... Many single parents have good jobs/ careers and do well financially, and many partnered people struggle financially but we don't pry into married people's financial situations like we do with SP's... It's just how I feel anyway. It is definitely more challenging parenting though but people don't question that.

Im envious if you not getting comments like these I get it all the time!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Hokey Pokey View Post
    I'm not a single parent now, but was with my first. I was 15 years with a new baby and no partner. The comments and assumptions from people were very hurtful. I was told many times that I was a nobody, would be a nothing.
    I am gobsmacked HP! I am so sorry people said that to you! Well it seems you showed them!!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Ellewood For This Useful Post:

Hokey Pokey  (26-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Maybe I get those types of comments more because I'm an 'older' mum - the older you are the less 'time you have' I guess... But actually I'm much more independently minded at this age.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MeetTheBluths View Post
    I am gobsmacked HP! I am so sorry people said that to you! Well it seems you showed them!!
    I could never be in public without being stared at either. Few times it made me cry.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Bubhub Blogger

Default Re: Single Parents - what assumptions do people make about you?

People assume I'm partnered. It's only those that see me on the train too and from work that really put it together that I'm not.

Turns out randoms think I'm doing a pretty awesome job too, cause yesterday we didn't get a seat, walked up the aisle and some lady calls my son by his name, turns to her travelling companion and says how wonderful he is, and that he's been taking the train since he was a baby.

So sometimes the looks and judgement are actually compliments!

Spent from my dome. Excuse autocorrect

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Single Parents - what assumptions do people make about you?

i was a single mum with 2 kids one of which has ASD. both have different fathers.
    the looks and comments i get from some ppl is just pure evil. mostly the comments consist of "oh you are obviously a sl@t" , " where are your childrens fathers, was it your fault they both left" or my very favourite is " look at your sons behaviour, you need to disapline he more"

I try now not to let them get to me but some days the stares and cmments have me curled up on my bed crying after the kids are in bed. If only these people knew id like to think they wouldnt be so quick to judge.

Sent from my GT-S5830 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    im not a single mum but was the child of one. my mum split with my dad when i was 2 and she was a single mum up until i was in my early 20's. I remember a few unsavoury comments from when i was a wayward teenager for a while like "its because she comes from a single mum" etc. I felt like I had to be extra careful and behave better than my friends.