+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week

Default Re: anyone who has pnd or depression that has sought help from gp. Need quick advice.

You sound just like me. I haven't read any other replies. I had to go to the Dr for a repeat prescription and I said while your at it can you do one for AD too. She asked why and I just said exactly almost word for word what you said in your OP. She said "ok. I'll do you a months worth of a low dose one and we will see if that helps. Come back in a couple weeks before you finish the pack."

I have found they did work.

Sent from my magical black talky thingy using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Good luck with it all

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Re: anyone who has pnd or depression that has sought help from gp. Need quick advice.

"I think I have post natal depression" can we do a score sheet please. Keep it simple Good Luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I agree with Happy2be3. Ask the Gp to give you an Edinburgh PND test. The Gp will know what it's for.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by BbBbBh View Post
    I agree with Happy2be3. Ask the Gp to give you an Edinburgh PND test. The Gp will know what it's for.
    The test is a good indicator.

In my case though I can always rationalise my behaviour and the answers to get a non pnd result. Ie do you find yourself crying for no particular reason in the last 7 says? No. I have been crying because I had no sleep, baby won't stop crying, I can't get things done, I have no time to myself, my hormones are out of whack and poor me. Or are you a happy as you have ever been? Um would you be if you weren't sleeping, had no time to yourself, had to listen to a screaming baby at 2 in the morning.

A good Dr will listen to you. Use their instincts, give you the test but won't solely rely on the results. A good Dr should also realise that it is a massive step for someone to admit they need help and for many it is often when they reach breaking point that people do seek help.

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    yes, what DSS said. I can tell you I filled out 40 of those tests before I admitted the truth. I blamed sleep, hormones, allergies, you name it I always had a reason. I'm not saying its not a useful tool but its very hard to fill it out honestly in front of someone.

MonkeySee (or anyone else reading along) the test can be found online, it can be done at home in privacy with no expectations. So why not do it at home? Where you have time to think and no pressure of anyone watching.

Can I also say MSMD, it must have been so hard to hear your DH say something like that. When I was in the thick of it, at my worst and just after diagnosis, DH & I had a chat about it. I remember it so clearly cos it really hurt to hear it, he said he would never have married me if I had been like 'this' when he met me. Which translated to me "I don't want to be married to you". It was extremely hard to hear. Now I look back and I know a. he was still with me because he loved me b. it was really hard for him to live with me at that time and c. that was't my fault and we worked to fix it. We've come a long way since then and largely reconnected tho I still have bad days which really cheese him off. But he can see now that it doesn't happen when I take my meds. If you decide to do counselling, it might help if he can come along to a session, it might help him understand.

Oh and your original question, how did I approach it? I sat down in the GPs office, blurted out "I think I have PND" and burst out crying. It was kinda like jumping off a cliff onto a big trampoline Really hard to do but a soft landing You are right to wait until your own GP is back, if you trust them and feel you will be listened to. The GP I told, it was my first visit but I went to her because a friend with PND told me she was lovely and very sympathetic.

Sorry for the essay, hope you can get into the GP soon
    Last edited by Gothel; 26-01-2013 at 15:13.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:

Also.. Another very important point. If they do put you in AD tell someone close to you because I took one years ago that caused me to hear voices and have feelings of self harm when I never had before. The Dr should go through the side affects with you because not all ad agree with everyone. I realised it was the type I was on. Went back and tried another and was a totally different story with a much better outcome. If one doesn't agree with you don't be scared to try to find one that does.

And my DP can tell when I haven't been taking mine, so the right ones do work.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    i im so sorry i hadnt replied sooner i Didnt get a notification to tell me there were more replies. Thanks So much for all of your stories, kind kinds and advice, you ladies are so inspirational and beautiful. Its really boosted my confidence to the point where i feel im ready and able to talk to the gp.

i did one of those tests (when health care nurse came at 2 months) and it was a yes for having mild pnd (but i lied on the test so my score wasnt high cos i was scared) bad i know but i didnt trust her and was trying to ignore it. She said shed keep an eye on me and do another test when she was out agaain but never did.

anyway, i came on to give an update. My doc ap was cancelled so i had to re schedule. My appointment is for tonight at 6.10pm. Im feeling so nervous and everytime i think about it i feel sick in my tummy and want to throw up. Its gross. Hopefully after tonight things will start to get better and i can be me again.

gothel- it was hard for me to hear dh say that. Thats what my dh said 'if you were like this before we got married i never would have married you' then he continued on to say that if it werent for him knowing that this isnt the 'real' me he would have left when all of this started.... 8 almost nine months ago. It kills me to think that ive hurt him so bad for him to say that stuff. Big hugs to you gothel. im Glad you have both been able to work through things! xx

thanks beautiful ladies