+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default anyone who has pnd or depression that has sought help from gp. Need quick advice.

Hey guys.
    i have a drs ap in the morning and was hoping to raise the subject of pnd with him. (by hoping i mean that have made countless appointments with him but have felt so ill n my tummy when thinking about talking about it that i chicken out)

how do i even bring it up, what do i say. Believe my pnd is a chemical inbalance not something that has traumatized me. All have is how i feel, i domt have a reason. j get very (very!!) angry over nothing, i get sad, down, irritable, all these moods happen within minutes of each other and i cant control it. I know what im doing but it doesnt matter how hard i try cant shut it off. Its Ruining my marriage (dh knows its pnd and has said that if it werent for that he wpuldnt stick around)

i dont want to chicken out again but km scared that he wont believe me or he will think im crazy (i spoke to a pharmacist about it all (they do counceling there too) and she told me im crazy and that m far away from having depression of any kind cos i didnt want to kill/hurt my baby!!) so that really stuck with me. Kve had pnd for about 8 months now and it just keeps getting worse.

anyway, the point of this thread is to ask how you guys approached the subject. I dont want to be judged kn the above, i need support and advice so please if you cant offer that then i dont really want a reply. Thanks in advance for you help.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default anyone who has pnd or depression that has sought help from gp. Need quick advice.

* Hugs a few weeks ago I went to the GP for PND. I had it with my first and again now with my second bub. DS2 is 4 months old. Like you I get angry, sad and feel hopeless all the time. I have NEVER wanted to harm my children though, quite the opposite. The pharmacist that told you it's not PND because you don't want to warm your child is wrong. I would stop seeing them. It can be hard admitting you feel this way but you feel a lot better talking to them. I put it off going but in the end I knew I needed help. I basically just walked into my GPs room and told them I'm not coping mentally. I told them how I feel on a day to day basis. They will ask a lot questions. I was put on the same anti depressants I was on before. I have started a mental health care plan, I get free psychologist sessions. Please see your GP soon.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm sorry to hear you are going through a hard time and I think you're making the right decision to go to Dr. It's perfectly normal to feel worried about going and speaking to him about pnd, but you have nothing to be embarrassed or scared about.

The fact that you have recognised it yourself is a big step and seeking help is only going to improve life for yourself, your DH and of course your LO's.

I'd really encourage you to go. Maybe think of it as little steps. You've already made the appointment!! Next is getting ready to go, then driving there, then going inside and then being brave and opening yourself up. Each step by itself is small, but together they add up to you making a couragous decision for you and your family.

Best of luck with it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks guys for the reply much appreciated. I only went there once to see if there were something natural i could take, i didnt want to talk to her about it at all but i did and after she told me what she did i left, i dont go to counselling ( honestly, there is nothing to talk about)

will they make you go to a psych or counsellors?

the sucky thing this morning is was woken up by a phone call from the med centre, the lady said that the dr callex and is not coming in today. I had myself all ready for it too. it takes alot of working up to it. I wont see the other Dr about it cos i dont agree with his practice (he tried to tell me that i should 'put oil and butter or anything tasty on your dd's food to get her to eat it' and that 'bm is no good after 6 months you need to cut it out and increase her solids'. Ive talked to him about my problem but he didnt even acknowledge that i said anything. Just gave me a nod. Will Try to get in as soon as my doc is back.

oh and sorry for all the mistakes in my op, it was late and my phone was being stupid. Thanks ladies for your help.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    No they won't and can't make you see a psych. If you do want to though, you have the right to see one

I would simply say to your dr that your moods have been very low and you can't seem to lift them. Start with that and the dr will take it from there (should do anyway!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi, sorry you're going through this. I think the pharmacist needs to be reported but that's another story. Can you change doctors?
    Maybe try PANDA?

http://www.panda.org.au/

Hope that is of some help

7. The Following User Says Thank You to acerbaby For This Useful Post:

House Mummaxxxx  (26-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    [QUOTE=acerbaby;7039716]Hi, sorry you're going through this. I think the pharmacist needs to be reported but that's another story. Can you change doctors?
    Maybe try PANDA?

http://www.panda.org.au/

i was considering reporting her but not really sure how and if it has been too long since seeing her. She should be reported, what she said to me is not right. She shouldn't be as a trained counsellor telling people things like that. So wrong. Thanks for the link, i had a look over and its very helpful. thanks

thanks hokey (and welcome back) im glad they wont make me, i dont feel i need so it seems pointless. There is only one bulk billing place n Darwin so not really an option for us to change doctors. The one i have atm i trust (mostly) so will just stick it out with him. Will try to see if there is another dr there besides the bad one that i could see.

thanks so muck ladies for your kind words and help, its given me a bit more confidence and hope. thanksyou.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MonkeySeeMonkeyDo For This Useful Post:

Hokey Pokey  (26-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Re: anyone who has pnd or depression that has sought help from gp. Need quick advice.

Hey hun have messaged you on fb

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Purple Lily For This Useful Post:

Gothel  (26-01-2013)

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Re: anyone who has pnd or depression that has sought help from gp. Need quick advice.

If you find it hard to start speaking to your gp, maybe print something out or grab a panda leaflet our something, and hand that over instead. Then just wait for then to start asking questions. Once the ball is rolling you might find it easier. It's just so hard to make the words come out of your mouth. I sobbed the while way through my first gp appt.
    Good luck, please do go see your gp because there is no need to suffer on alone xox

Thanks
    Reviews

Sorry your going through this.
    Could your DH go with you? He could talk to the gp about changes he has noticed in you that he is concerned about. Then, if you don't feel comfortable talking in front of him, he could leave you to talk to the gp.
    And no they won't make you see a counselor if you font want to. I was like you and didn't see the point, but I learnt some great tips in how to turn around my negative thoughts. For me cognitive behavioural therapy has helped me the most with my depression.
    Good luck. I hope things start feeling better for you soon.