+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    MuminMind is offline Bubhub Award Winner - 2011- Most Helpful Member, Member I'd Most Like To Meet, Most Community Minded Thread, Best Potential Moderator and Newbie of the Year Awards
    BH Advocate - PND & AND
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Question National Rental Affordability Scheme

Are there many of you in here who have found public housing through the National Rental Affordability Scheme (NRAS)? If so, how long was the process and how has that experience been like for you?

I live in regional QLD and am starting to believe that it will be my only opportunity to move out of the place currently I rent with my ex and kids. But I have not been able to get an appointment with DoH until early Feb and I suspect that it will be months and months before anything will become available.

I don't know how much longer I can cope with living under the same roof as the ex.

Someone, please give me some hope!
    Last edited by MuminMind; 25-01-2013 at 23:11.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We are renting a NRAS house 😃 it's not public housing though - it's still owned by a normal owner just like any other rental it's just that our owner gets a kickback from the Government every year to make up for our cheaper rent.

We are on the gold coast. I applied for our NRAS approval online & had our approval email within 24hrs. I then applied for a nras house (with just a normal real estate) but we didn't get it because so many ppl were going for it. Thank goodness because the next week a 4bd 2car garage 2yr old home with a pool came up for $376 a week. We applied and a week later we were told we were accepted!! So happy 😃

There is NRAS townhouses/duplexes here for $270+ (Pimpama/Coomera area) not sure exactly where you are though.

Hope that helps a bit if you have any other questions just ask 😃

Mod-pegasus is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My DSD is thinking of using this option - she says that the paperwork is too heavy though. My response is that surely if you fill out the paperwork, in the end it will be quicker?

Thanks
    Reviews

Default National Rental Affordability Scheme

Yep like previous poster said, you apply on the website and you get an nras number thing.

Then you find nras houses (plenty on realestate. com. au) and apply like a normal rental (it's a few extra pages but simple and you give them your nras number)

It's nice and simple, so hopefully you can find some and apply
    Last edited by feelinglucky; 26-01-2013 at 00:24.

Mod-pegasus is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Thanks for your reply feelinglucky - I'll talk to my DSD some more and see if she's tried online - if it's as easy as you say, then maybe she just hasn't gone about it the right way.

She says it's hard to find a rental as to get a rental, you need references, and to get references, you need to have rented...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Could someone provide the website thanks

Thanks
    Reviews

Default National Rental Affordability Scheme

We are in an NRAS property and found it on www.realestate.com.au under rentals.
    http://www.communities.qld.gov.au/ho...ective-tenants

You have to apply for an NRAS number before you can apply for NRAS properties.

MuminMind is offline Bubhub Award Winner - 2011- Most Helpful Member, Member I'd Most Like To Meet, Most Community Minded Thread, Best Potential Moderator and Newbie of the Year Awards
    BH Advocate - PND & AND
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you all for your replies so far.

I was under the impression that I needed to make an appointment with Department of Housing and get a customer reference number before I could even register online with NRAS, but it seems like I was wrong! So thank you for that!
    Last edited by MuminMind; 26-01-2013 at 09:37.

Thanks
    Reviews
    That links for Qld, I'm in nsw. Had a google but couldn't find where I apply in nsw

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014

Default Re: National Rental Affordability Scheme

Quote Originally Posted by wiwy View Post
    That links for Qld, I'm in nsw. Had a google but couldn't find where I apply in nsw
    I was looking into this a while ago. It depends where you live. For example, living in Newcastle you can apply through Compass ( the community housing organisation).
    The bulk of them were for Sydney of course.
    When i'm on the computer i'll see if i can find the list of providers for you.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HarvestMoon For This Useful Post:

MuminMind  (26-01-2013),Mummy pig  (27-01-2013)