+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

Question Couples counselling/marriage counselling

Whatever you call it? Has anyone ever had this? Did it help?

I have depression and anxiety and my marriage is suffering. I have extreme trouble showing my feelings/being intimate. I have no sex drive. DH feels unloved

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Couples counselling/marriage counselling

First up hugs. Sounds similar to my and DPs relationship.
    I haven't seen a counselor with DP but have seen one on my own. Be prepared to try a few. It can take awhile to find one you like, and you would both have to feel comfortable with them.
    Also be open minded about the response you get. I know someone who stopped seeing their counselor because they didn't agree with her that their problems were all the husbands fault.
    Good luck, I think if you find someone you both feel comfortable with, and you are able to be honest, then a counselor can be a great help.
    Navigating a relationship through depression is hard work. I hope you and your husband come out the other end stronger for it.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to sakabla For This Useful Post:

Hokey Pokey  (26-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    we went to marriage counselling and it helped a great deal. When i was in hospital with PND and anxiety, my dr also had a chat to my dh to educate him on my illness which really helped him to understand stuff and improved our relationship a great deal. hugs to you...xx

5. The Following User Says Thank You to RipperRita For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: Couples counselling/marriage counselling

Hokey Pokey me and DH will be looking into this ourselves as we were split for almost a year until recently. Sorry to hear what you're going through but IVe heard it can be very successful! There is hope lovely! x

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Kiplusthree For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DairyfreeDiva View Post
    we went to marriage counselling and it helped a great deal. When i was in hospital with PND and anxiety, my dr also had a chat to my dh to educate him on my illness which really helped him to understand stuff and improved our relationship a great deal. hugs to you...xx
    I think this is what my husband needs. I have only been home a week after being in a MBU for approx. 5 weeks and today he says to me "You spent 2 months in hospital and still have not changed". I just rolled over and cried

He doesn't get it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    just wanted to offer

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Huni&Coco For This Useful Post:

Hokey Pokey  (28-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Hokey Pokey View Post
    I think this is what my husband needs. I have only been home a week after being in a MBU for approx. 5 weeks and today he says to me "You spent 2 months in hospital and still have not changed". I just rolled over and cried

He doesn't get it
    Are you seeing a psychiatrist or psychologist? I found it better coming from someone else to my DH about my depression/anxiety as whenever i tried to tell him it just ended in an argument. My dr talking to my dh was really a life changer. He "gets" it more now.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to RipperRita For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    We saw a marriage councillors after DS was born. Our marriage was not in dire straights but I felt we were growing apart and we never had sex. It was the best thing for us and I draw on things from those sessions all the time. I think though if you have diagonosed issues maybe your psycologist should talk to your DH. He doesn't sound very understanding.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to CleverClogs For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by DairyfreeDiva View Post
    Are you seeing a psychiatrist or psychologist? I found it better coming from someone else to my DH about my depression/anxiety as whenever i tried to tell him it just ended in an argument. My dr talking to my dh was really a life changer. He "gets" it more now.
    I have both

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Huni&Coco View Post
    just wanted to offer
    Thank you