+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Recommend me a wooden outdoor cubby house

Hi, I want to save and get my kids a decent sized cubby house that is good quality and will function as another place they will happily play outside in winter( I'm big on chucking the kids outside to play ) .

I don't want to spend loads and end up with something that is too small or not made well. I saw one at bunnings for about $995 and seriously you coul probably only fit a Cosy coupe in there it was so small and rough with splintery wood !

I want to be able to for a table and chairs ( kids) a little kiddy kitchen and blackboard and plant some flowers in planters in the window.

Anyone recommend a brand ?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Recommend me a wooden outdoor cubby house

Are you or your partner handy? You can make them pretty easily. That what we did. I think the materials were about $600 or so and it's a decent size. I can stand up in it in the middle without hunching and it will fit tables, chairs and a kitchen when we've made it.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Californication For This Useful Post:

babynomad  (25-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I have always wanted a cubby for my kids but just can't find one decent enough, without spending a small fortune!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Hokey Pokey For This Useful Post:

babynomad  (25-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We got one that was waaaaayyyyyy too small and ended up having a handy man extend it for us . Unfortunately the kids rarely IF EVER play in, so all in all for us its been a waste of money.

Anyway, what I was going to say was that I noticed an advert in the paper last year from the local Trade School where they were selling off wooden cubby houses that were made by the carpentry students. I think they were around $1k but they were a decent size and very well made. Do you have something similar nearby where you could go and check them out before you buy.

A friend of mine got one for her kids from Steel Chief and paid about $1300 and its pretty schmiko.

My advice too, get one that doesnt require painting, so just plain boards where you can slap a coat of stain on. Ours is painted cream and its peeled in the sun so it looks pretty terrible.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to GirlsRock For This Useful Post:

babynomad  (25-01-2013)