+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Taking sick leave before maternity leave

Hi all,

I am a high school teacher and will be starting back on Tuesday. I'll be 29 weeks pregnant. I'm starting maternity leave at 35 weeks. I know it's only 6 weeks of work, but I've just received my timetable and I don't know how I'm going to cope.

Physically there's nothing wrong with me, but I feel so stressed just thinking about it and have been crying for over an hour since I got my timetable (ridiculous I know! And I'm normally so calm and level-headed!!) I don't know how I'm going to cope with the busy days and with classroom management etc.

My question is, have any of you taken sick leave before your maternity leave? I'm having my baby in a midwife-run birthing centre, so would I just go to my normal GP and see her? I have about 25 days of sick leave, so I was hoping to work 2-3 weeks and then take 3-4 weeks of sick leave. Who knows, when I go back I might find I cope well, but I just want a back-up plan.

Thank you!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi, I went part time (3 days per week) and made my pay up with sick leave at 32 weeks. I found I was much better at coping with that rest day inbeteween. I'm not sure of the legalities but I believe it's at your employers discretion.

I just got a doctors letter saying I was fit to work part time only.
    Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

You can do this but your employer can start your parental leave after 34 weeks if they choose to, rather than you using sick leave after that date.

Some employers will just let you use sick leave up until whenever, but they don't have to after 34 weeks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yep I went on sick leave from about 26 weeks and then took maternity leave from I think 36 weeks. I had a dr certificate, no problem

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you so much for you replies. I feel a lot better now. I think I'll have a chat to the principal at the end of the 2nd week if I'm not coping and let him know. That way he will have a week to find somebody to cover me (they should be starting the hiring process now anyway).

Thanks again ladies!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep, you just require a doctors certificate. I had this discussion with my DR last night and she said she is more than happy to write me a med cert for sick leave at any point from here on in. Im 32 weeks today.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    i always thought even with a doc note you couldnt use sick leave before maternity leave. I may look into this as im working right up until 38 weeks would be handy to have 2 weeks extra off

Thanks
    Reviews

Ex Ed dept here, too. I had so much sick leave owing it covered my whole pregnancy (and knowing I wasn't ever going back to full time work I wanted to run it down or I would lose it all) my GP gave me a medical certificate every 10 weeks for 9 months. I was over 40 and he said I may as well enjoy my pregnancy without the risk of any complications. Top bloke. You might find that you can also access your long service leave (with a med cert) if you need more time off work before birth, depending on your state awards.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It was great hearing the experience of another person from Dept. Ed. Kalgirl. Thanks for sharing!