+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Stopping wrapping

My 3m/o only sleeps well when he's wrapped (his flailing arms seems to distract him) I will have to think about stop wrapping him soon as he's just starting to roll over. Anyone had similar experiences and if so, what did you do?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    My almost 5 month old still needs wrapping, he just won't have it any other way.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

DD was in a wrap of some sort until almost 1! We started using Wrap Me Ups from about 4/5months, she could push herself up and crawl around in it but it still gave her the comfort of wrapping.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Still wrapping 7mth old using a cot sheet. Her hands are out tho.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We're currently weaning my almost 4 month old off his swaddle now. Main reasons - I think his startle reflex is mostly gone now so it's not necessary besides the sleep association, he's starting to roll and also has bad eczema/heat rash on the inside of his elbow and I think it would improve a lot if he didn't have his arms tucked in close all the time.

I had the type of zip up wrap where we could let one arm out, so he's had one arm out for a couple of days. But I've just decided to go cold turkey today. Popped him in a light sleeping bag instead so he still has something over his legs. He's needed a little more help getting off to sleep (I go in and hold his flailing limbs and pat his tummy for a bit) and he's stirred a few times in his sleep but it's not too bad.

Coincidentally I'm going to introduce a comforter for him which hopefully will take the place of the swaddle as a sleep cue.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Piffle For This Useful Post:

Mom2TwoDSs  (25-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

We went to sleepy wings (they can still use their hands if they roll over) and then just stopped using them clod turkey at 5 months with no issues.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Cookie1 View Post
    My 3m/o only sleeps well when he's wrapped (his flailing arms seems to distract him) I will have to think about stop wrapping him soon as he's just starting to roll over. Anyone had similar experiences and if so, what did you do?
    Are there any issues with him rolling while swaddled?

Sorry I was meant to quote Hokey Pokey.....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Apparently it's dangerous to swaddle arms in when bub can roll over as there's risk of suffocation esp if bub cannot roll back onto her tummy. Even the product will warn to stop using when bub can roll. But if both arms are out its okay. If I am wrong somebody corrects me pls.

my bub is 14 weeks. He escapes his wraps (cotton sheets, Muslim wraps). We had him in sleep wings but he's still startling with them and he works himself up trying to mouth his hand. Then we use sleep wings arms down and put him in a love to dream swaddle. Mr Houdini still managed to bring his arms up. Didn't work.

we tried the halo sleep sack last night...cried at first then ok. But disastrous during naps today. He seems to hate it and his arms still got out. He cried blue murder. I quite like the sack for the leg and hip room but unfortunately he doesn't. When I put him back to the love to dream with arms held by the sides with a muslim wrap he calmed down and went to sleep. Not sure how much we need to spend to find the right product for him. Or perhaps I should try to see if he wants arms out now.

If your bub sleeps well wrapped why not continue? She is only 3 months. I read startle reflex goes away between 4-6 months. Wrapping is a great sleep cue/association too. I will continue having some sort of wrap eg sleeping bag even when his arms are out and can roll over, just make sure there is no chance for suffocation.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We also use those wrap me up one swaddles and DD is now 6 months. We tried taking one arm out but she just wasnt ready. These are great as they can still push their body up if they roll on to their tummy so they're a bit safer than wrapping/swaddling with a blanket i suppose.

I suggest giving it a go for a couple of days. See if bub is ready. You might be surprised!

Thanks
    Reviews

I stopped wrapping at about 3.5 months as DS kept escaping. I would find him up the opposite end of the cot, freezing cold, with his wrap down where I left him. I put him in a sleeping bag and he took to it very easily (I was expecting sleepless nights). He has been in a sleeping bag ever since. He can't get it off, his arms are out so he can easily move, nice and warm, and they come in a variety of warmth ratings (TOG).

OP you could try purchasing a second hand sleeping bag to see if bubba likes it. I've tried grobags and hop skip - both are great.