+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I haven't read all the other posts but wanted to say that we can all do our bit for destigmatising mental illness. Most people do first aid courses for physical health emergencies. I believe we should also be doing mental health first aid (www.mhfa.com.au). If you are in a good space to do it and feel ok about it, correct people who use the wrong terminology or make ill-informed comments, (ie it's not commit suicide, it's 'complete' suicide- suicide in Australia is not against the law so to do it is not 'committing' any crime). Tackle the myths about mental illness (anti depressants are addictive- umm, not they're not) and if you have a mental illness and feel like you can talk about it do some advocate/spokesperson work to educate others.

Good luck to all of you doing the hard yards.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to BbBbBh For This Useful Post:

Hokey Pokey  (28-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ourbradybunch View Post
    I haven't read previous posts but I'm hoping someone can answer my question for me.

I have been diagnosed with gad & OCD. I don't take any mess ATM due to ttc. My question is are any medications safe in pregnancy?
    Sure are

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BbBbBh View Post
    I haven't read all the other posts but wanted to say that we can all do our bit for destigmatising mental illness. Most people do first aid courses for physical health emergencies. I believe we should also be doing mental health first aid (www.mhfa.com.au). If you are in a good space to do it and feel ok about it, correct people who use the wrong terminology or make ill-informed comments, (ie it's not commit suicide, it's 'complete' suicide- suicide in Australia is not against the law so to do it is not 'committing' any crime). Tackle the myths about mental illness (anti depressants are addictive- umm, not they're not) and if you have a mental illness and feel like you can talk about it do some advocate/spokesperson work to educate others.

Good luck to all of you doing the hard yards.
    Off to read that link - thankyou

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MummaJez View Post
    I might have to think about going on meds, I'm currently 10 weeks and suffering MS and not getting out much and fear I've made the anxiety worse.....

I suffered PTSD from my last birth 3 years ago and I'm really worried about how I will cope close to the birth (planned CS) and even afterwards... Even thinking about people and their hospital visits and taking bub out in public I feel anxious and trapped. Argh I hate this

For those of you who suffer from a GAD how do you feel when anxious? My biggest thing is the nausea and gagging
    I feel like I am going crazy, everything around me speeds up or so it seems. I get very sweaty, shakey, legs want to give way and feel like passing out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BoxerDogLover View Post
    I am breastfeeding on a high does of Zoloft, I have been told it is the safest of all anti depressants (but not to say others cannot be used). I think that if necessary you can be on AD's during pregnancy too, and I may well have to take them throughout my next pregnancy as the hormones really mess with my head! Maybe you could get a referral to a psychiatrist from your GP? They are very educated on mess and pregnancy/breastfeeding. Hope it works out for you
    I was on Efexor XR when pregnant and feeding.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Hokey Pokey For This Useful Post:

SpicyTurtle  (28-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Hokey Pokey View Post
    I was on Efexor XR when pregnant and feeding.
    Oh yes Effexor XR was offered to me first actually but i decided to go with the Zoloft

Thanks
    Reviews
    It is meant to be the best (or one of) it worked for me for 6ish years but then stopped post natal. We tried upping the dose and it made no difference. I am now on Cymbalta.

Madame Mayhem is offline Who you are is who you should be, don't change for anyone
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MummaJez View Post
    I might have to think about going on meds, I'm currently 10 weeks and suffering MS and not getting out much and fear I've made the anxiety worse.....

I suffered PTSD from my last birth 3 years ago and I'm really worried about how I will cope close to the birth (planned CS) and even afterwards... Even thinking about people and their hospital visits and taking bub out in public I feel anxious and trapped. Argh I hate this

For those of you who suffer from a GAD how do you feel when anxious? My biggest thing is the nausea and gagging
    Oh hun
    I have had 2 elective c/s and am more than happy to answer any questions you might have about them if that would help you at all

the best way I can describe my anxiety, is I feel like I'm someone else, but I cant quiet recall who, I get really confused and cant breathe then I literally curl up in a ball and rock. Its like another part of my brain takes over and I am just watching myself have an anxiety attack from the sidelines.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Let's break the stigma attached to mental health illness!

I was offered zoloft while pregnant, so that's probably what I'll start on once bubs is born. The only thing is I get really anxious about the side affects on the box. It says ' may cause thoughts of self harm or harm to others.' that scares me so much and makes me not want to take it cause I'm scared it will make me crazy and try and hurt someone. I know that sounds crazy in its self but these are the kids of worries that spiral my anxiety. Also someone posted that they developed schizophrenia from meds? That's freaks me out so much

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Let's break the stigma attached to mental health illness!

Quote Originally Posted by Bohobaby View Post
    I was offered zoloft while pregnant, so that's probably what I'll start on once bubs is born. The only thing is I get really anxious about the side affects on the box. It says ' may cause thoughts of self harm or harm to others.' that scares me so much and makes me not want to take it cause I'm scared it will make me crazy and try and hurt someone. I know that sounds crazy in its self but these are the kids of worries that spiral my anxiety. Also someone posted that they developed schizophrenia from meds? That's freaks me out so much
    Yeah I was one unlucky sob to get that one. Unfortunately with all of these meds, if you read the fine print, say the same thing. Some people just don't react well to certain meds. But when you find the right one, you feel one he'll of a lot better. I'm just hoping I didn't scare too many people off their meds. I was in a bad place when that happened. I think that if it was a different situation the meds might not have affected me so badly. My DP is on the exact same meds that sent me scizo and he is perfectly fine. They were fantastically for him

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

13. The Following User Says Thank You to smidget3004 For This Useful Post:

Hokey Pokey  (29-01-2013)