+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BoxerDogLover View Post
    Hi all! I agree about the stigma attached to mental health, I hate it! It is a medical disorder just like any other and sometimes requires medication to treat it. I have OCD which I manage well usually but whilst pregnant the hormones made it a lot worse, I was very bad there for a while but now am taking zoloft and they have worked wonderfully! I'm still not perfect but I am a lot better and I will get there. My dad suffered from depression all his life and its horrible when they won't get help for themselves. It took him 40 years to start on meds (zoloft) and he now calls them his happy pills it is a serotonin imbalance in the brain for most, and that's why I hate it when people say "what do you have to be depressed about" or "you know that's not true so why think it?" Anyway hugs to everyone here
    i agree. I must admit i was pretty clueless about the illness up until the birth of my children when i was struck down with severe PND and anxiety. Mine was very much a hormone imbalance but it took me a long time to realise that or even understand it. I refused medication for a long time because i was under the belief that i could fix myself with some counselling and it was somehow a personality deficiency or weakness on my behalf. My family and I are much better educated on mental illness now. Believe it or not I think im a much better person having gone through what i have with MI.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to RipperRita For This Useful Post:

Hokey Pokey  (27-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: Let's break the stigma attached to mental health illness!

I just hate it when people (especially those who have gone through the same thing) say "just get over it. I did". They know it doesn't work that way yet they still say it!

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

4. The Following User Says Thank You to smidget3004 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Let's break the stigma attached to mental health illness!

When I told my mil I had pnd she said 'you seem fine to me' and never mentioned it again : ( except to say 'are you sure you should be thinking about more children after everything' when I mentioned having another one day. This was after I was better btw and it's not like I did anything terrible! I loved (love) my ds with all my heart and put all my energy into him. I just wasn't happy with myself. Very disappointing esp from someone who had depression themselves once. I still fume over it but should let it go.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shooshlove View Post
    When I told my mil I had pnd she said 'you seem fine to me' and never mentioned it again : ( except to say 'are you sure you should be thinking about more children after everything' when I mentioned having another one day. This was after I was better btw and it's not like I did anything terrible! I loved (love) my ds with all my heart and put all my energy into him. I just wasn't happy with myself. Very disappointing esp from someone who had depression themselves once. I still fume over it but should let it go.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Shooshlove View Post
    As I entioned before, its upsetting when people who have suffered depression make comments that are negative, or not understanding...

Hope that made sense... Baby brain really bad today. Lol

8. The Following User Says Thank You to smidget3004 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews

Hugs to everyone that has written before me. I'm a 28 yr old mum of a 3 yr old DS and 29 weeks pregnant to a little girl. I was diagnosed with an anxiety disorder and OCD when I was 14. I don't really have the rituals but I suffer from distressing obsessive thoughts. When I'm going through an episode it can last for months and it's so debilitating. I was fine for many years but it's all flared up again since bring pregnant and while I find it hard to even get out of bed some morning I do because of my son. I also suffer from bouts of depression because I just get so down. Having anxiety all the time is so mentally and physically exhausting. I chose to try and get through my pregnancy without meds but I'm thinking I'll be back on when bubs is born in April. Thank you for creating this thread. I don't really have any friends I can talk to about any of this so thank you I don't feel so alone.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bohobaby For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Hugs to you all xx

I do find though when people haven't actually Been in your shoes and felt a mental illness first hand they just don't know how serious and debilitating it is. I can understand in a way i guess but they can definitely be more sympathetic or understanding about it. My mum often brushes me off and it does anger me. I also haven't told many people including in laws as I just know they won't understand and just think I'm nuts more than anything.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MummaJez For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Bohobaby View Post
    Hugs to everyone that has written before me. I'm a 28 yr old mum of a 3 yr old DS and 29 weeks pregnant to a little girl. I was diagnosed with an anxiety disorder and OCD when I was 14. I don't really have the rituals but I suffer from distressing obsessive thoughts. When I'm going through an episode it can last for months and it's so debilitating. I was fine for many years but it's all flared up again since bring pregnant and while I find it hard to even get out of bed some morning I do because of my son. I also suffer from bouts of depression because I just get so down. Having anxiety all the time is so mentally and physically exhausting. I chose to try and get through my pregnancy without meds but I'm thinking I'll be back on when bubs is born in April. Thank you for creating this thread. I don't really have any friends I can talk to about any of this so thank you I don't feel so alone.
    I'm the same boho baby, no rituals but obsessive thoughts and anxiety, it has gotten a lot worse since my pregnancy. Sucks. Zoloft is helping now though which is good

14. The Following User Says Thank You to SpicyTurtle For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Glad to hear the zoloft is helping, Boxer

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Hokey Pokey For This Useful Post:

SpicyTurtle  (28-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MummaJez View Post
    Hugs to you all xx

I do find though when people haven't actually Been in your shoes and felt a mental illness first hand they just don't know how serious and debilitating it is. I can understand in a way i guess but they can definitely be more sympathetic or understanding about it. My mum often brushes me off and it does anger me. I also haven't told many people including in laws as I just know they won't understand and just think I'm nuts more than anything.
    My mum continually tells me to get over it... And she suffers from depression herself.... My ex's family used to make life a million times more difficult by basically telling me I was making things up and that I was a useless good for nothing... Well yeah... You can see where that was headed. But DP is really supportive, and we all need people who are supportive. Even if its only 1 or 2 IRL and a whole community on the internet