+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Iam also a past anxiety and depression sufferer. Ive always been a highly strung person and perfectionist however i had no history of depression or anxiety up until having children. I was hospitalised after the birth of my second child in a mother and baby unit. i experienced all kinds of shame and guilt about my illness and how if was affecting my kids which i began to realise just prolonged and intensified my illness. I decided that I was going to fight this head on and started attending a mental health day program and openly talking to others about my illness. One positive thing that comes from depression is empathy. Most people I know that have suffered from it are some of the most empathetic people I know. My children after seeing me go through depression also display a beautiful empathetic side that makes me glow with pride. I haven't actually been unwell for quite a while, however I still am taking the medication at the moment.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Let's break the stigma attached to mental health illness!

Quote Originally Posted by smidget3004 View Post
    Hi
    I have bipolar and borderline personality (not multiple personalities. They are different). I was diagnosed 3 days before my 21at birthday... I am a stepmum to a 3yo girl and am due to have my first in a few weeks. I found out today that my medication is safe during pregnancy and breast feeding so I will be going back on it tonight. The last 7 months have been so difficult on everyone around me and I can't wait to have some semblance of control over my emotions again

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub
    What medication are you using? I have bipolar 2 and decided to go med free while we TTC and start them again after birth if I need them. I'm in a good period right now and haven't had any symptoms for about 6 months since going off the meds.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Let's break the stigma attached to mental health illness!

Quote Originally Posted by catrules View Post
    What medication are you using? I have bipolar 2 and decided to go med free while we TTC and start them again after birth if I need them. I'm in a good period right now and haven't had any symptoms for about 6 months since going off the meds.
    I have bipolar 2 as well. I find that anything that changes my hormones makes my symptoms worse (so pregnancy is a really trying time). I am on seroquel xr 200mg. The drs said it won't even pass through my breast milk. I might drop it down after bub is born so I wake up when bub wakes. I will be talking to my psych about it all when I see him in a few weeks.

I went for a year and a half without taking meds, and that was when we found out that the pill was setting me off

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by V8 View Post
    Just wanted to say well done on creating a positive support thread, i have made this a sticky for you
    Thankyou!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DairyfreeDiva View Post
    Iam also a past anxiety and depression sufferer. Ive always been a highly strung person and perfectionist however i had no history of depression or anxiety up until having children. I was hospitalised after the birth of my second child in a mother and baby unit. i experienced all kinds of shame and guilt about my illness and how if was affecting my kids which i began to realise just prolonged and intensified my illness. I decided that I was going to fight this head on and started attending a mental health day program and openly talking to others about my illness. One positive thing that comes from depression is empathy. Most people I know that have suffered from it are some of the most empathetic people I know. My children after seeing me go through depression also display a beautiful empathetic side that makes me glow with pride. I haven't actually been unwell for quite a while, however I still am taking the medication at the moment.
    I have recently spent a few weeks in a MBU too

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by smidget3004 View Post
    I have bipolar 2 as well. I find that anything that changes my hormones makes my symptoms worse (so pregnancy is a really trying time). I am on seroquel xr 200mg. The drs said it won't even pass through my breast milk. I might drop it down after bub is born so I wake up when bub wakes. I will be talking to my psych about it all when I see him in a few weeks.

I went for a year and a half without taking meds, and that was when we found out that the pill was setting me off

I am on seroquel xr 150mg.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Hokey Pokey View Post
    I am on seroquel xr 150mg.
    My dh has bipolar 2 also and he takes 400mg seroquel xr daily.
    His downs are getting less and less and he is more mood stable but I find him to be quite detached from our dd and he says he doesn't cope with being a dad.
    I hate this and wonder if it's meditation or needs to talk to psychologist about it?...

Sent from my GT-I9305T using BubHub
    Last edited by kezanazz; 25-01-2013 at 20:34.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by catrules View Post
    I took 6 month to come off my meds before ttc also and have been off them since.
    I am being kept under a very close eye by a lot of people to make sure I'm ok.
    Like you I feel I am in a good period right now.
    Not to say it's been easy by any means. But it's best for bub while I'm pregnant and both ds and dh love having "normal" for the time being.
    There are safe meds available but all meds have side effects not all of which are known.

Also I was on 350mg per day and your dh being detached is how I got. Auto pilot we called it. It was better than the rapid mood swings.
    I didn't even think of the pill being a problem. Well have to mention that to my doctor as I'm supposed to go back on the pill in a month.

Sent from my LG-P500 using BubHub
    Last edited by Sookie Stackedhouse; 25-01-2013 at 20:13.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by DueInAugust View Post
    I took 6 month to come off my meds before ttc also and have been off them since.
    I am being kept under a very close eye by a lot of people to make sure I'm ok.
    Like you I feel I am in a good period right now.
    Not to say it's been easy by any means. But it's best for bub while I'm pregnant and both ds and dh love having "normal" for the time being.
    There are safe meds available but all meds have side effects not all of which are known.

Also I was on 350mg per day and your dh being detached is how I got. Auto pilot we called it. It was better than the rapid mood swings.
    I didn't even think of the pill being a problem. Well have to mention that to my doctor as I'm supposed to go back on the pill in a month.

Sent from my LG-P500 using BubHub
    I only found out by coming off the pill then being forced to go back on it.... They thought I had endometriosis and wanted to control it that way even though I made it clear DP and I were going to ttc the following yr

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Let's break the stigma attached to mental health illness!

I suffer from PTSD and generalised anxiety disorder.. It's hard work at times
    I feel for anyone with a mental illness. It can rule your life and be so debilitating. It can get so bad sometimes that it ruled my life and things I need to do and things I should enjoy

Sometimes want to scream and cry I am so over it

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MummaJez For This Useful Post:

Hokey Pokey  (26-01-2013)