+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: Let's break the stigma attached to mental health illness!

Hi op. I have bipolar.
    I agree with you a mentally ill parent can be a good parent.

I have also had the problem with my dh. He doesn't think I need to be medicated to get by.

Sent from my LG-P500 using BubHub

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Sookie Stackedhouse For This Useful Post:

Hokey Pokey  (25-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DueInAugust View Post
    Hi op. I have bipolar.

I have also had the problem with my dh. He doesn't think I need to be medicated to get by.

That must be so hard having a partner who doesn't support you

Madame Mayhem is offline Who you are is who you should be, don't change for anyone
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Let's break the stigma attached to mental health illness!

I has a similar experience to this, except for me he didn't like who I was when medicated, I just became dead, he said even though it was hard to watch he preferred me having extreme emotion rather than just nothing. It's a fine line isn't it? In lucky that I have been able to find a balance and the support I need to not be medicated but it hasn't been easy for anyone involved

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Let's break the stigma attached to mental health illness!

He does support me in everything else it's just when I'm medicated he feels like I'm not there. Medicated I am on auto pilot and have no emotions at all.
    It is hard on him because I say I still love him but he can't see it.

Off the medication I'm me but I'm hard to be around sometimes. He is the only control I have. Like he is my calm.
    I hope that made sense.

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi op. I have bipolar.

Quite a while back I was suffering work related depression and was put on antidepressants.
    DH was entirely NOT understanding, and told me that if they made me feel like cr@p (physically) that I should just stop taking them. I said to him that if I quit my job I wouldn't need to take them anymore but he was determined that I not quit.
    I eventually ignored him and quit my job and instantly didn't need the meds anymore as the stress was gone.

Fast forward and last year DH was suffering a mega strong bout of depression that was entirely brought on by work place stress and he said to me "I can't believe that I didn't support you at all when you were depressed from work. Now I understand what you were going through I feel terrible!".
    I actually had to tell him to quit that job because life had become unbearable at home from his behaviour. He was basically waiting for me to tell him to quit because he didn't want to admit that he was wrong to force me to keep working back when I was in the same position.
    Lets just say it was a valuable lesson for him .

Madame Mayhem is offline Who you are is who you should be, don't change for anyone
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Let's break the stigma attached to mental health illness!

He does support me in everything else it's just when I'm medicated he feels like I'm not there. Medicated I am on auto pilot and have no emotions at all.

Off the medication I'm me but I'm hard to be around sometimes. He is the only control I have. Like he is my calm.
    I hope that made sense.

Sound exactly like my situation, you have worded it so much better than me thankyou

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

I hope that made sense.

Yep that made sense

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Eko View Post
    Quite a while back I was suffering work related depression and was put on antidepressants.
    DH was entirely NOT understanding, and told me that if they made me feel like cr@p (physically) that I should just stop taking them. I said to him that if I quit my job I wouldn't need to take them anymore but he was determined that I not quit.
    I eventually ignored him and quit my job and instantly didn't need the meds anymore as the stress was gone.

Fast forward and last year DH was suffering a mega strong bout of depression that was entirely brought on by work place stress and he said to me "I can't believe that I didn't support you at all when you were depressed from work. Now I understand what you were going through I feel terrible!".
    I actually had to tell him to quit that job because life had become unbearable at home from his behaviour. He was basically waiting for me to tell him to quit because he didn't want to admit that he was wrong to force me to keep working back when I was in the same position.
    Lets just say it was a valuable lesson for him .
    Wow bet that was a real eye opener for him!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi

My DH suffers from anxiety, depression and has been diagnosed as bi-polar. His parents were abusive and it has taken him a long time to recover from that and to understand that I won't be angry if he makes mistakes etc as his mum used to lash out at him.

It has taken years of counselling, visiting several GPs until he found one that understood and didn't make him feel worthless and a time waster and seeing two psychiatrists (he didn't like his first one) for him to be where he is today.
    We have been together for 13 years and he was a pillar of support whilst we underwent IVF. So I've seen him at his blackest to where he is now. He is an amazing fathher - which is what he worried about because of his own childhood and is primary carer to our son.

He has also tried several different medications and combinations to find one that removes the darkness, but lets him be himself. He still gets side effects, such as requiring lots of sleep etc, but overall is in a good place .

If you feel that your medication is not right for you, please investigate other ones, quantities etc.

It is such a shame that there is a stigma attached, but having been more open about our situation in recent years, I've been shocked at the number of people in the same situation.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ManchesterLass For This Useful Post:

Hokey Pokey  (25-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sooz80 View Post
    Hi

My DH suffers from anxiety, depression and has been diagnosed as bi-polar. His parents were abusive and it has taken him a long time to recover from that and to understand that I won't be angry if he makes mistakes etc as his mum used to lash out at him.

It has taken years of counselling, visiting several GPs until he found one that understood and didn't make him feel worthless and a time waster and seeing two psychiatrists (he didn't like his first one) for him to be where he is today.
    We have been together for 13 years and he was a pillar of support whilst we underwent IVF. So I've seen him at his blackest to where he is now. He is an amazing fathher - which is what he worried about because of his own childhood and is primary carer to our son.

He has also tried several different medications and combinations to find one that removes the darkness, but lets him be himself. He still gets side effects, such as requiring lots of sleep etc, but overall is in a good place .

If you feel that your medication is not right for you, please investigate other ones, quantities etc.

It is such a shame that there is a stigma attached, but having been more open about our situation in recent years, I've been shocked at the number of people in the same situation.
    You sound like wonderful support for your husband

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Hokey Pokey For This Useful Post:

ManchesterLass  (25-01-2013)