Let's break the stigma attached to mental health illness! | Page 17 | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by middieintraining View Post
    My DS is 18 and suffers Depression and Anxiety. He was diagnosed In October last year when he began cutting himself and was having suicidal thoughts. He also has moments where he experiences psychotic symptoms, but these are becoming less frequent these days as a result of medication. It is a constant battle of getting him to take his medication, seeing psychologists and psychiatrists with some days worse than others. I feel lucky in a way because I was lucky enough to help my son before his suicidal idealization turned into reality. Yes, he did have a plan and even had a noose hanging in his room behind his curtain. I have become good at 'staying strong' on the outside but on the inside am constantly scared. Wanted to share his story because I believe depression and suicide needs to be brought out into the open and also helps me to talk about it too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: Let's break the stigma attached to mental health illness!

Well, I think I've got the blues today. After my DP missing the birth of our son (he had a drs appointment and is in the navy so it was with a navy Dr), I find out today that the leave he has taken to spend time with Mitch and I is completely wasted... He has tonsillitis and has held our son a total of 3 times. He misses the first 2 weeks of his life! And to top it all off, he can't get that leave changed to sick leave and retake his carers leave when he's better! All I want to do is break down and cry... I feel so upset that DP is missing this time with our son. We won't ever get it back

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bumping this thread for doobs and also to see how everyone else is going

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Just wanted to pop in and say hi to everyone here & that I am another person who believes the stigma of mental health issues should be addressed.

I actually attended a mental health first aid training course today and it was great. This organisation is trying to roll it out so that eventually it will be similar to the first aid courses - ie available to everyone etc. I think this is a fantastic idea and will definitely be beneficial in addressing some of the stigmas.

Also, whilst I'm here: I have had issues with anxiety for many years. I have also had depression and I was medicated then and this helped for the depression, but not the anxiety. Therefore that was the turning point for me when I actually realised I might have an anxiety disorder - the depression got better and I was left being extremely anxious - I think the depression masked some of the symptoms of the anxiety.

I also have some specific phobias with my anxiety disorder and have experienced panic attacks in the past. I am currently seeing a psychologist and hopeful that this will help me get my anxiety to a more manageable level.

Thanks
    Reviews
    What was involved with this mental health first aid course?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi everyone,

Whewww...where do I start? After the birth of my son 20 months ago I ended up in a mother and baby unit for two months with severe depression and psychosis. I was eventually diagnosed with Bipolar 1 . I've been working hard, taking all the meds, and getting my life back onto track but found out this week I have been having delusions (or apparently I have, I'm not convinced about it). They only affect me and I believe myself to be fairly high functioning and a good mother despite it!

The doctor has put halt to our TTCing for number 2 until I finish my thesis which is due in around 6 weeks time. I will also be involved in a program called Hospital in the Home which I have no idea what is about. They are thinking about changing my diagnosis to Schizoaffective Disorder as it appears I am having psychotic symptoms without being depressed or manic

Anyway the point is I do feel stigmatised, I feel like others may think I am a bad mother because of my issues. When in fact the nurses in hospital told me I had done an excellent job of caring for my son even when I was very ill.

I would love to chat to others who are having similar experiences

Smidget - I am so sorry to hear about your DP missing the birth of your son and his first few weeks. You have every right to feel upset about it! How are you doing now?