+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Let's break the stigma attached to mental health illness!

Can I add something else to my list?
    Oniomania (from Greek ὤνιος onios "for sale" and μανία mania "insanity"[1]) is the technical term for the compulsive desire to shop, more commonly referred to as compulsive shopping, shopping addiction, shopaholism, compulsive buying or CBD or Sushma Syndrome.
    Compulsive shopping may be considered an impulse control disorder, an obsessive-compulsive disorder, a bipolar disorder,[2] or even a clinical addiction, depending on the clinical source.
    Mine is part of my OCD, but I've hit rock bottom today and have given all control of the money to DH, and I will just get an allowance. It's gotten pretty bad, I've spent $600 in 2 days on crap we don't need
    Anyway, just thought I'd post in here, it's hard having no body to talk to about these things!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Let's break the stigma attached to mental health illness!

Good luck smidget, hope you go into labour soon! I was going batty when I went 2 weeks over!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to SpicyTurtle For This Useful Post:

smidget3004  (01-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Still waiting!!! Thanks to everyone for the luck!!! I just wish it would hurry up...

Spicy Turtle, I am glad you have taken steps to help you out with your shopping addiction... I hope something comes of it. And that you can sort everything out. It's not nice having things like that control our lives...

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Let's break the stigma attached to mental health illness!

just a quick question for those with bipolar...
    my dh has bipolar 2, and got told today he has depression as well as this and will now be able to have a new mental health plan....
    I'm confused and I dont know what I can do or say to help

Sent from my GT-I9305T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by kezanazz View Post
    just a quick question for those with bipolar...
    my dh has bipolar 2, and got told today he has depression as well as this and will now be able to have a new mental health plan....
    I'm confused and I dont know what I can do or say to help

That is very confusing, as part of bipolar normally deals with the depression side as well. Bipolar normally is diagnosed to those that go from an extreme happiness or mania, (a lot of people tend to become shopaholics, I get very angry, hence why my diagnosis is coupled with borderline personality) and extreme lows or depression. Someone correct me if they have been told otherwise...

I would just let him talk as need be. Tell him not to treat it as any different to normal bipolar. My psych said that a lot of people miss out on an actual bipolar diagnosis as they are only ever seen when depressed. The two go hand in hand a lot of the time. It's weird that he never got diagnosed with depression before his bipolar diagnosis.

All a person can do is be there for their partner. My DP has only recently (in the last 6 months) been diagnosed with depression caused by PTSD. I just let him talk when he needs to, make sure he always goes to his appointments, make sure he always has his meds, and make it clear that I am here and I love him. I think it's all anyone can do for someone they love.

Hope that helps. PM me if you have any more questions

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by smidget3004 View Post
    That is very confusing, as part of bipolar normally deals with the depression side as well. Bipolar normally is diagnosed to those that go from an extreme happiness or mania, (a lot of people tend to become shopaholics, I get very angry, hence why my diagnosis is coupled with borderline personality) and extreme lows or depression. Someone correct me if they have been told otherwise...

I would just let him talk as need be. Tell him not to treat it as any different to normal bipolar. My psych said that a lot of people miss out on an actual bipolar diagnosis as they are only ever seen when depressed. The two go hand in hand a lot of the time. It's weird that he never got diagnosed with depression before his bipolar diagnosis.

All a person can do is be there for their partner. My DP has only recently (in the last 6 months) been diagnosed with depression caused by PTSD. I just let him talk when he needs to, make sure he always goes to his appointments, make sure he always has his meds, and make it clear that I am here and I love him. I think it's all anyone can do for someone they love.

Hope that helps. PM me if you have any more questions
    sorry, yes he was diagnosed with depression first then changed ti bipolar 2.
    he currently takes seroquel xr.
    he has been down, agitated and grumpy for a few days and went to his doctor today and got told that he may have depression as well so he needs to go back Monday and get a new mental health care plan so he can get back into a psychologist.

I guess that's the problem also-he doesn't talk, at all and just snaps at me and dd.....

Thanks
    Reviews

When I was diagnosed it was after years of being told it was just depression.
    After having my first baby one doctor finally saw it was more.
    I have rapid cycle bipolar.
    Like your dh I didn't talk I just snapped or I would laugh off big problems. But my mid changed so fast dh gave up trying to get me to talk. He would avoid talking to me. I agree with pp on being the for your partner and helping out with appointments and Meds. If the meds work you should get a better chance of him talking.
    I couldn't until was on the right meds and figured out the best dose. It takes time.
    Good luck.

Sent from my LG-P500 using BubHub

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Sookie Stackedhouse For This Useful Post:

smidget3004  (01-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    sorry, yes he was diagnosed with depression first then changed ti bipolar 2.
    he currently takes seroquel xr.
    he has been down, agitated and grumpy for a few days and went to his doctor today and got told that he may have depression as well so he needs to go back Monday and get a new mental health care plan so he can get back into a psychologist.

I guess that's the problem also-he doesn't talk, at all and just snaps at me and dd.....

As I said... If you have bipolar, you have depression. It just might be that the meds aren't working properly. I am on Seroquel XR as well. How long has he been on it??? Is he seeing a GP about it or a psychiatrist??? GP's can be pretty useless when it comes to mental health, and all they do is give medication and hope for the best. Psychiatrists on the other hand tend to do both the medication and find out what causes the problem. Psychologists work hand in hand with psychiatrists. When used properly, they work really well together. Psychologists also are unable to prescribe medication. Maybe get him to ask for a referal to a psychiatrist instead of a psychologist. The Psychiatrist can then do the referal to the psychologist if need be.

If he has only been on Seroquel for a few weeks, then the downness etc can be just his system adjusting to the meds. If he has been on it a while, then the Dr hasn't been monitoring him properly and adjusting them according to his needs. That's why GP's can be useless. I highly recommend he does some group therapy. He doesn't have to speak about anything he goes through in it, but there are some groups that can assist him with dealing with his emotions a little better.

I'm sorry you are going through all this. And I hope your DD doesn't get affected by his moods. I know I was affected when my mum's depression wasn't controlled. With the talking thing, maybe just sit down with him over a glass of wine or something and see what he says. Start talking about how you feel when he snaps, that you're scared your DD might get affected by his moods and that you are wondering what has upset him so much to make him that way. Even if you just get him starting to talk about what upset him on that day, it's still a start. And coming from someone that suffers, it is hard to start the talking about why you are so emotional, but after taking it one day at a time, I can finally deal with talking about what has upset me and affected me from my past...

Sorry it's so long winded. Lol

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by smidget3004 View Post
    As I said... If you have bipolar, you have depression. It just might be that the meds aren't working properly. I am on Seroquel XR as well. How long has he been on it??? Is he seeing a GP about it or a psychiatrist??? GP's can be pretty useless when it comes to mental health, and all they do is give medication and hope for the best. Psychiatrists on the other hand tend to do both the medication and find out what causes the problem. Psychologists work hand in hand with psychiatrists. When used properly, they work really well together. Psychologists also are unable to prescribe medication. Maybe get him to ask for a referal to a psychiatrist instead of a psychologist. The Psychiatrist can then do the referal to the psychologist if need be.

If he has only been on Seroquel for a few weeks, then the downness etc can be just his system adjusting to the meds. If he has been on it a while, then the Dr hasn't been monitoring him properly and adjusting them according to his needs. That's why GP's can be useless. I highly recommend he does some group therapy. He doesn't have to speak about anything he goes through in it, but there are some groups that can assist him with dealing with his emotions a little better.

I'm sorry you are going through all this. And I hope your DD doesn't get affected by his moods. I know I was affected when my mum's depression wasn't controlled. With the talking thing, maybe just sit down with him over a glass of wine or something and see what he says. Start talking about how you feel when he snaps, that you're scared your DD might get affected by his moods and that you are wondering what has upset him so much to make him that way. Even if you just get him starting to talk about what upset him on that day, it's still a start. And coming from someone that suffers, it is hard to start the talking about why you are so emotional, but after taking it one day at a time, I can finally deal with talking about what has upset me and affected me from my past...

Sorry it's so long winded. Lol
    he has been on the xr for about a year, before the that regular seroquel. ..
    he had a psychologist who told him not to come back unless he got worse-then he left.
    he currently just has visits to his gp when he needs a new prescription, or needs a chat.

I dont know what the point in me writing is....I guess I am just struggling too

Last edited by kezanazz; 01-02-2013 at 19:48.

Thanks
    Reviews
    he has been on the xr for about a year, before the that regular seroquel. ..

Ok. Maybe the Dr wasn't monitoring his dosages. They need to be looked at every few months normally. Does he understand how the modified release works??? That can also help as he may not be taking it at the optimum time for him. Or he could be one of those people that just build up a tolerance for it. I know a few people that have to change meds every 6 onths because they build up a tolerance.

I hope everything can be sorted before it affects your relationship too much. Lots of love and hugs

I know it can be frustrating too.