+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

Thumbs up Let's break the stigma attached to mental health illness!

I'm a Mum to 5 and I have a mental health illness.
    I take medications daily to help alleviate the symptoms of my illness.
    I suffer Major Depressive Mood Disorder, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, Anxiety and possibly, Bi Polar.

Can a depressed parent be a good parent? YES!

Anyone else want to join the bandwagon, come say hello here

The more we can talk about this, the better informed society will be and more accepting of those with a mental health illness. We should not be left in the dark to suffer alone, with guilt and shame!

We have an illness just like cancer, diabetes, asthma etc etc. And we deserve the same respect and support

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Hokey Pokey For This Useful Post:

almai  (26-01-2013),jemmajam  (10-03-2013),ManchesterLass  (25-01-2013),ozeymumof5  (22-02-2013),singlemumma82  (25-01-2013),~Marigold~  (25-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Let's break the stigma attached to mental health illness!

I work in mental health and it's really hard seeing all the stigma attached to it. People really do treat those who have a mental illness differently

Last year in Brisbane when mental health week was on we (the organisation i work for) had a 'fair' day in which we had all different organisations that help support people with mental illness set up stalls and such. We invited the public so they could learn more about it and how they can support those around them who may have a mental illness

It was really great to see how many people showed up :-)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to KnockKnockPenny For This Useful Post:

Hokey Pokey  (25-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KnockKnockPenny View Post
    I work in mental health and it's really hard seeing all the stigma attached to it. People really do treat those who have a mental illness differently

Last year in Brisbane when mental health week was on we (the organisation i work for) had a 'fair' day in which we had all different organisations that help support people with mental illness set up stalls and such. We invited the public so they could learn more about it and how they can support those around them who may have a mental illness

It was really great to see how many people showed up :-)
    That sounds like a great kind of fair to have! I wonder if they ever do one down my way.. may be something to suggest to my member of parliament for health, perhaps?

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Hokey Pokey View Post
    That sounds like a great kind of fair to have! I wonder if they ever do one down my way.. may be something to suggest to my member of parliament for health, perhaps?
    Or if there is a mental health alliance or something like that down your way :-)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to KnockKnockPenny For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by KnockKnockPenny View Post
    Or if there is a mental health alliance or something like that down your way :-)
    I will look in to that!

We do have a mental health service

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    My DH has been suffering from depression for a good couple of years now, but because of the attitude of his mother (ie. People who are medicated for depression are weak, they can get over it they just go for the easy option) he won't do anything about it.
    He won't go to a doctor, he won't see a psych, and I regularly feel like I'm walking on eggshells because of his moods.
    I finally got him to admit that he's depressed the other night but he won't go to see a psych or anything unless I go with him. I agreed to go but I'm thinking of trying to swing it so that the psych gets at least SOME of the appointment to talk to him alone. I don't want him bottling things up that he doesn't want me to hear.

Even after having several friends who are taking medication for depression and being completely NON-judgmental of them he can't cope with the idea of medication for himself. I'm not saying he necessarily needs it, but he thinks that if he talks to someone that's the first thing they'll do about it.

*sigh* MEN!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Eko For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Eko View Post
    My DH has been suffering from depression for a good couple of years now, but because of the attitude of his mother (ie. People who are medicated for depression are weak, they can get over it they just go for the easy option) he won't do anything about it.
    He won't go to a doctor, he won't see a psych, and I regularly feel like I'm walking on eggshells because of his moods.
    I finally got him to admit that he's depressed the other night but he won't go to see a psych or anything unless I go with him. I agreed to go but I'm thinking of trying to swing it so that the psych gets at least SOME of the appointment to talk to him alone. I don't want him bottling things up that he doesn't want me to hear.

Even after having several friends who are taking medication for depression and being completely NON-judgmental of them he can't cope with the idea of medication for himself. I'm not saying he necessarily needs it, but he thinks that if he talks to someone that's the first thing they'll do about it.

*sigh* MEN!
    That must be so hard for you! Please go along with your hubby, he probably needs that supporting hand for the first few sessions

Madame Mayhem is offline Who you are is who you should be, don't change for anyone
    Thanks
    Reviews

Last edited by Madame Mayhem; 25-01-2013 at 10:11.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Madame Mayhem For This Useful Post:

Gothel  (25-01-2013),Hokey Pokey  (25-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS has an anxiety disorder which falls broadly into the category of a mental health issue.

What I find amazing is that it's our older relatives, ie my parents, DHs parents who seem to attach the stigma, like we've done something to create the problem.

We support people with other diagnosed illnesses, so it makes sense to support those with mental health issues.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Toomanyboys For This Useful Post:

Madame Mayhem is offline Who you are is who you should be, don't change for anyone
    Thanks
    Reviews

I suffer anxiety, depression and S.A.D. I also was diagnosed with AND & PND with both of my pregnancies. Im not currently medicated and I am doing ok, i have both good and bad days but I am lucky enough to have some amazing supports (many are from the private disscussion area here on BH) I'm another who thinks it is time that the stigma is removed from mental health, I know so many people who have suffered though mental health issues alone because they didn't think anyone would understand, when the reality is that more people than you would think have been in the same position but are afraid of what society would think
    Last edited by Madame Mayhem; 25-01-2013 at 22:55.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Madame Mayhem For This Useful Post:

Gothel  (25-01-2013),Hokey Pokey  (25-01-2013)