+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Screaming when being put to sleep

DD is 10.5 months and has been a champion self settler for many months. Tonight was a different story. She screamed when we put her down at her usual 7pm bed time. I tried feeding her twice which she had a bit to drink each time, but the screaming continued. I had to rock all 10kgs of her to sleep.

When I say scream, I mean blood curdling, I'm in fear of my life scream which I have never heard from her ever before!

She fell asleep by 8, but just woke absolutely screaming blue murder again. She drank maybe 30mls then spat it all out and screamed again and kicked her legs furiously. She smelt a bit so I changed her and she screamed and kicked again. She never does a poo until early morning!

I managed to rock her to sleep just then, but I'm sure it will all happen again in a few hours.

What could it possibly be!? Worms, tummy bug? It wasn't normal unsettledness, it's huge discomfort possibly pain.

Should I take her to the hospital tomorrow!? Doctors?

Thanks
    Reviews

Is she teething?

Thanks
    Reviews

That's EXACTLY how my DD's early ear infections presented. Nothing else at all, not even temps.

I was at the shops one day grumbling to a stranger over this kid that was happy enough during the day, perhaps a little grumpier than normal, who turned into a demon at night. She recommended I see the gp for her ears and sure enough, she had a severe infection.

She's had about 12 since then so now I am really good at picking the signs.

If you're not overly concerned about the dr potentially saying 'its just a phase, there's nothing wrong' and especially because most GPS bulk bill kids I would recommend an appt.

For both your sakes I hope it's just a wonder week or something.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Screaming when being put to sleep

Thanks for your replies girls. She stayed asleep until 6:30, thank god!

She was pretty happy when she got up. Her behaviour the last few days do point more to a wonder week. I will see how we go tonight before taking her to the doctor.

Ive had my fair share of GP appointments where I got fobbed off! Hehe

It could be teething. She has 10 teeth already but her molars have been coming up for well over a month now, so that could be it!

She has been doing a lot more poos recently and they have been quite runny, which all links to teething. She went down ok for her morning sleep, so I can probably rile out ear infection.

Thanks
    Reviews

Hope it settles down for you. My 5 month old is teething and its a hard time for both mummies and bubbies.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by KellyMac View Post
    Hope it settles down for you. My 5 month old is teething and its a hard time for both mummies and bubbies.
    Thanks Kelly! I gave her some paracetamol and teething gel and that helped a lot. I don't like to use paracetamol too much but after the screaming, I'm happy to use it at the moment as her molars are definitely cutting through now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Sounds like an ear infection to me.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by lilypily View Post
    Sounds like an ear infection to me.
    Is it possible for them to still be able to lie down and fall asleep if they have an ear infection?

DD got better but is now screaming again. But sometimes if I just put my hand in her and shush her she seems to calm down and I walk out the room and she will fall asleep. Last night at 3am was a different story as every time she looked like she was going to sleep, she would start crying again.

What other symptoms present?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Poor little dear, it's so hard trying to work out what is wrong hey If it is an ear infection there is a great product called auralgon, they are ear drops and they numb up the ear pain. Better than any panadol/pain killer!! But you may need to check the age restrictions.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Hokey Pokey View Post
    Poor little dear, it's so hard trying to work out what is wrong hey If it is an ear infection there is a great product called auralgon, they are ear drops and they numb up the ear pain. Better than any panadol/pain killer!! But you may need to check the age restrictions.
    Yeah, I just always thought I would j ow what was wrong with her an help accordingly but there are so many things it could be!

Can you buy it over the counter? Can it be used even if I haven't had a GP look at her ear and confirm an infection?