+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Cloth vs disposable nappies

My mum noticed that DS never has nappy rash because it was really common with most kids in cloth in her day. I think disposable are super absorbent and less likely to cause nappy rash. But of course there is the issue of cost, environment.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Re: Cloth vs disposable nappies

Quote Originally Posted by ToonZie View Post
    I saw on the interent somewhere that before sposies were invented, 7% (or might have said 12% not sure) of babies got nappy rash. Today 70% something of babies get Nappy rash.
    That sounds pretty suss to me. Especially with the terry flats (which is what they used to use all the time) the urine stays in pretty close contact to the skin in cloth, so you have to change very regularly to avoid nappy rash. I've changed a LOT of bottoms, and the biggest indicators of whether a kid gets nappy rash is 1. Parents are slack and don't change them enough and 2. Some kids are just more prone to nappy rash. With point 1, you can be heaps slacker with sposies before it becomes an issue.
    We use cloth, btw.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

I saw on the interent somewhere that before sposies were invented, 7% (or might have said 12% not sure) of babies got nappy rash. Today 70% something of babies get Nappy rash.
    Sounds like a cloth nappy advertisement. The only time my DD1 had nappy rash was in cloth. DD2 doesn't get rash because she spends a lot of time with no nappy on.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Better for the environment (if washed in cold water, with enviro-friendly detergent, and dried on the line), cheaper in the long run, super cute, apparently not as hot (read about a study that said cloth was better for boys for this reason, not sure of the details) and buying from local work-at-home mums is nicer than buying from nappy companies!

We use a combination - cloth on home days, sposies at daycare and sometimes if we're out all day or away for a night or two.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have used cloth on and off for 4 years . My first two are boys and whilst I had every intention of using cloth( I use babybeehinds as I love the bright soft minki all in ones) , my boys just had so much trouble going out as I couldn't find trousers that fit right . So I have used cloth sometimes and disposable mostly. Now I have a little girl and I'm using cloth , just got some pink ones to add to stash. It's better as girls clothes are easier with leggings , dresses and tights . I'm loving using it 80% of time.

With rashes I think it's all about skin type , my oldest has been in nappys for 4 years ( now in pants thank god) and he never had a rash , never used cream . Second son gets rash so easy bless him .

I love cloth though , so soft and I'm a saddo but I love seeing my cloth nappies all clean drying in the sunlight ! Weird I know!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I use disposables for the same reason many have expressed. My little man never gets a rash in them, but gets a dreadful one in cloth despite frequent changing.

Thanks
    Reviews

My dd is in cloth full time and gets a rash every week!

I'm not saying what you read isn't true, just that the nappy rash could be from other causes.

To answer the op, we use mcns here because they are cuter and environmentally better, plus the added bonus that our wheelie bin doesn't stink like poop!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Plan on being a disposable user.

Easier, quicker and less hassle. Will use nappy sacks for smell issues.

I wanted to use cloth but I have now decided to go back to 12hr a day work a few days a week, I just dont believe I can keep up with it all. Daycare etc.

I might use MCN's at home. But certainly disposables at Day Care and when im out and about.