+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Low blood pressure

Hey ladies so I am 4 weeks found out at 3 weeks and have been super super dizzy, my dr says I have low blood pressure specifically on standing but I've found today even when sitting or laying down I've been very dizzy. How do other people with low blood pressure deal with it? I remember with dd I didn't feel dizzy until well into my 8th month....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi PipersMummy,
    I had been feeling as you describe in my current pregnancy, dizzy standing, sitting, laying, it is quite horrible! I would have been about 19 weeks at the time when I was feeling the worst, at my doctors appointment my bp was 85/42, I normally am a bit lower anyway but not that low! The doctor said he would normally never recommend it but to eat a bit more salt and also drink plenty of fluids. Since then I will sometimes add salt to my dinner and will eat some chips if I am feeling dizzy or if I just if I feel like it, I also made an effort to eat breakfast and lunch and two snacks throughout the day just of fruit or something as I hadn't been really eating at these times. Anyway I think this did help, I haven't really felt that bad since and last week my bp was 100/65 which is about normal for me.
    I also asked the doctor if there was any risks besides fainting when standing for to long or getting up to quickly and he said no, I'm not sure how true this is but it was nice to hear Finally, he said bp in pregnancy is like an inverted bell curve and hits its lowest in the middle and then starts to go back up, again not sure how true this is but has been for me this time anyway.
    I hope you get some relieve from the dizziness soon!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Not much you can do for low bp. I suffered really low bp too. Just drink plenty of water and take your time getting up etc.

Thanks
    Reviews

I've had low BP in the past and my doctor said eat some salty food like Vegemite, chips etc.

Make sure you have iodized salt - very good for baby's brain development!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree, I had low blood pressure during pregnancy and found salty food and lots of water worked best for me and not letting myself get too warm.

Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I permanently suffer from low blood pressure but one thing that was recommended to me was when you get up from lying try to roll out rather than just get up. If you can't roll then sit with your legs off the side of the bed for a minute to try and increase your BP just a little. Like PP have said lots of water and add a little iodized salt.

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks for your replies ladies ill make sure in drinking lots of water, I'm just worried because I stand up all day at work, I wonder if I faint they'll let me go home hahahaha probably not (jks)

Thanks
    Reviews

Can you get your dr to write a note asking for changed work conditions to allow you to sit at work? Might help. I find if I sit down and drink something fizzy or Gatorade it helps.

Thanks
    Reviews

Sorry should add that I look after some staff where they could just tell me why - they didn't need to make the pregnancy known before they wanted. We just came up with a different excuse!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I always have very low blood pressure, always have pregnant or not. It was worse when I was pregnant though. I have had times where I have fainted. I also have lots of dizzy spells. It's frustrating that there isn't medication for low blood pressure yet there is for high blood pressure. I find salt helps such as licorice. I always have licorice on hand and have extra salt on my food when I can.