+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Re: The Project, The Australian Party and Homophobia

Quote Originally Posted by αληθη View Post
    Oh as long as you know what I'm saying then, I always get the feeling when I'm in these that I never say what I mean because people pick up different things and makes me question.

I understand where you're coming from too, but personally because of the historic connection of religion and the word marriage I have my reservations about using it anymore, especially when church and state are supposed to be separate. I know the vows and stuff change whether its religious or not but yeah.
    Religion and parliament certainly aren't seperate, otherwise gay marriage wouldn't even have to be questioned.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

Hokey Pokey  (25-01-2013),HugsBunny  (25-01-2013)

αληθη is offline BH name read as Aleethee
    Winner 2012 - One most likely to be hacked by Nomsie
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default The Project, The Australian Party and Homophobia

They're supposed to be though :/ Australia is supposed to be a secular state but it really isn't.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by redlipsandpearls View Post
    I do understand what you're trying to say, I just completely diagree. Marriage doesn't have to be called something else though, it's the vows you make that define it as something in the eyes of God, not what it's called.
    I agree

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Katter is a nutcase. He once stated something along the lines that he would walk backwards from Bourke to Brisbane if there were any homosexuals in his electorate. His half-brother is gay.

However, I do support what he is doing in regard to milk prices in Victoria.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

PomPoms  (25-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

They don't call him the mad Katter for nothing! I had to look away. I loved how he said that he doesn't care about the issue (same sex equality and his senator's comments) either way, then accused one of the reporters of 'putting words in his mouth' when she asked how as a politician he could not care! Scary that people support this guy : (

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Shooshlove For This Useful Post:

αληθη  (25-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I see it as an 'in the eyes of god' thing so I don't think anyone non-religious should marry. I'd prefer if we had a union or other ceremony and that took over marriage for the general population. Other than that I have no beef with gay union ^__^
    What if a gay people was religious? would you still think they should not marry?

Thanks
    Reviews
    They're supposed to be though :/ Australia is supposed to be a secular state but it really isn't.
    No it isn't. Religious institutions have a lot of money and money talks. The only reason they get away with it is an issue affecting a monority. I may support gay marriage, but at the end of the day, I still got married in a church because I can.
    A true protest would be to abandon the church, stop giving them money and demand their support for marriage equality. I think the laws would change quickly

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Marriage was around long before Christianity - it hasn't always been tied to religion, and many different cultures celebrate it in different forms, so I don't see it as tied to God at all.

On the issue of Katter - he's a fool, and it makes me angry that he gets so much media time to spread his ignorant views. I agree that society will look back in years to come and be ashamed of the inequality.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MissMuppet View Post
    On the issue of Katter - he's a fool, and it makes me angry that he gets so much media time to spread his ignorant views. I agree that society will look back in years to come and be ashamed of the inequality.
    He certainly is. I hope at some point he's shunned like the other Queensland politician who thought we should all be white Australians and that we were being over run by immigrants. Gotta love a democracy. Hopefully after this years federal election, the only thing left for Katter to do will be to get a spot on Dancing with the Stars ...

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Toomanyboys For This Useful Post:

happy wanderer  (01-02-2013)

almai is offline "you never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have."
    Thanks
    Reviews

Words have evolved over time, marriage- what once was confind to religious settings, has now become a broader term to define 2 people (any 2 people) coming together.
    You can also 'marry' a jacket with a skirt as they match... It's just a term.

All the reasons someone wants to get married are the same no matter who you are or who you marry- for family, for stability, to be covered by law incase anything should go bad, to commit and be accountable to someone and mostly because of love.

Non religious love and gay love is no different to religious love. It is 2 consenting adults coming together. No one should determine who gets that privilege or not. It's the same love.
    If the bible is so strong on this 'marriage being a life long commitment between a man and a woman' then they should ban divorce! That ruins marriage more that gay marriage...

I dont believe there is any debate strong enough at all to ban same sex marriage... More than 50% of Australia's voted for it last year so by our democracy standards, it should have been allowed. We are a multicultural country and accept all traditions, religions and customs... Why are we still in the dark ages with same sex marriage?
    Who does it harm??

15. The Following User Says Thank You to almai For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (25-01-2013)