+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by αληθη View Post
    I see it as an 'in the eyes of god' thing so I don't think anyone non-religious should marry. I'd prefer if we had a union or other ceremony and that took over marriage for the general population. Other than that I have no beef with gay union ^__^

Also yeah you can watch it online on the projects site but you may want to sit far away from your screen.
    It would still be a marriage though... just using a different name..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default The Project, The Australian Party and Homophobia

Quote Originally Posted by Hokey Pokey View Post
    Congratulations!
    We had an amazing day

3. The Following User Says Thank You to KnockKnockPenny For This Useful Post:

Hokey Pokey  (25-01-2013)

HugsBunny is offline Once upon a time there was a bunny.........
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

It's the name not the ceremony that I have the issue with
    Huh? So people who aren't married in the church shouldn't be able to say that they're 'married', what should they say instead? 'We are getting 'civil unioned'??? 'Civilly united'??

Love is love, marriage is marriage, it doesn't matter what name you put on it it's still the same in the end.

'Whats in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet?'

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HugsBunny For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (25-01-2013),MissMuppet  (25-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Re: The Project, The Australian Party and Homophobia

It's the name not the ceremony that I have the issue with
    Nevermind, just saw that you edited your post to add to your answer.

When you get married (if you do) you may actually understand.
    My parents believe in God and they got married. They know we are agnostic, but were so happy for us to get married. They see it as more than something with God, it's a lifetime commitment between two people. Not for you to judge, not for anyone but those two people to judge.
    Last edited by atomicmama; 25-01-2013 at 11:11.

Thanks
    Reviews

Marriage in Australia is governed by the State.

You can have a religious ceremony, but unless you include particular elements required by the Marriage Act then you aren't legally married as far as the Government is concerned.

Your church might recognise the union, but the state doesn't.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to NancyBlackett For This Useful Post:

dancingchipmunk  (25-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by V8 View Post
    Was shocked at the interview too, what a complete bigoted moron Bob Katter is, how he has any support to be in politics is beyond me. Infuriating idiot!
    It seems that homophobia isn't the only problem this party has! Suspended senate member Gaynor has just tweeted that 'he wouldn't buy meat blessed by Muslims'

WTF? Are they just trying to incite racial tension? I can't believe this rubbish actually gets air time.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Toomanyboys For This Useful Post:

dancingchipmunk  (25-01-2013),Hokey Pokey  (25-01-2013),αληθη  (25-01-2013)

αληθη is offline BH name read as Aleethee
    Winner 2012 - One most likely to be hacked by Nomsie
    Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by redlipsandpearls View Post
    Nevermind, just saw that you edited your post to add to your answer.
    Yeah I'm on my phone and hit send instead of correcting a word >__<

I also hate these sort of discussions, I can never say what I want umm. I'm trying to say that I see marriage as a ceremony in front of God (or Gods I suppose depending on which religion) and in today's climate not everyone is religious and I think there should be a ceremony of union replacing marriage and having the different name and traditions (which a lot of marriages between non religious couples pretty much is anyway, I think there should be less held on marriage and these ceremonies should be separated so it can include gays). Showing commitment and having a meaningful ceremony to show it I love but I just don't know about marriage from the religious side... If anyone knows what I'm trying to say?

I'm still not sure if what Im saying is getting my thoughts across arg >__< ill leave now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Marriage is the legal name of a union, it's what it's about 'marriage equality' It doesn't matter where you do it, what it means to you, how long you stay married for, what you personally call it. None of it matters except it needs to be equal for all couples and citizens in this country, legal and recognised with all that comes with it.
    Whether you want to marry a female or male, everyone should have the opportunity and rights and to have it legally recognised. Saying it will lead to bestiality or some other ridiculous notion is like saying gay people aren't the same as heterosexual people, I find it the most offensive. Going back 50years where a black person was seen as sub human and different to a white man.
    I believe in 50 years we will look at this and shake our heads in shame.
    A persons sexual orientation doesn't make them a second class citizen or less than, yet it's exactly how the law, governments and some people see it.
    So wrong.

eta. 50 years? Maybe 100 years. I don't know, it seems like that.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Someones Mummy For This Useful Post:

almai  (25-01-2013),atomicmama  (25-01-2013),Hokey Pokey  (25-01-2013),HugsBunny  (25-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: The Project, The Australian Party and Homophobia

Yeah I'm on my phone and hit send instead of correcting a word >__<

I also hate these sort of discussions, I can never say what I want umm. I'm trying to say that I see marriage as a ceremony in front of God (or Gods I suppose depending on which religion) and in today's climate not everyone is religious and I think there should be a ceremony of union replacing marriage and having the different name and traditions (which a lot of marriages between non religious couples pretty much is anyway, I think there should be less held on marriage and these ceremonies should be separated so it can include gays). Showing commitment and having a meaningful ceremony to show it I love but I just don't know about marriage from the religious side... If anyone knows what I'm trying to say?

I'm still not sure if what Im saying is getting my thoughts across arg >__< ill leave now.
    I do understand what you're trying to say, I just completely diagree. Marriage doesn't have to be called something else though, it's the vows you make that define it as something in the eyes of God, not what it's called.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

Hokey Pokey  (25-01-2013)

αληθη is offline BH name read as Aleethee
    Winner 2012 - One most likely to be hacked by Nomsie
    Thanks
    Reviews

Oh as long as you know what I'm saying then, I always get the feeling when I'm in these that I never say what I mean because people pick up different things and makes me question.

I understand where you're coming from too, but personally because of the historic connection of religion and the word marriage I have my reservations about using it anymore, especially when church and state are supposed to be separate. I know the vows and stuff change whether its religious or not but yeah.