+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Cries when put down for day sleeps

Hi guys,
    I have a nearly five month old lil boy. Only in the past few weeks, everytime I put him down for a daytime sleep (which he has two a day), I put him into his cot (with the blinds down) and he instantly starts putting his bottom lip out & crying in desperation. I have tried to give him a toy & play with him in his cot, but once he plays with his toy & is distracted, I sneek out, then wen he realises it, he cries madly. He will sometimes settle after five minutes, but im finding it harder to leave him cos he gets so distressed.
    When he wakes & cries or starts talking to himself in the cot, i go in & talk to him for a while so he knows its ok to be in his cot, but he is having major attachment issues with me leaving him to self settle.
    Does anyone have any advice or suggestions as to ease the anxiety my poor munchkin in having?
    Thanks for our time,
    Jane

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    It's very normal for babies to want to be rocked/cuddled/patted/fed to sleep. Neither of my babies at any time would self settle, I always had to help them get to sleep. As he gets older he is getting more away of his surroundings. He probably thinks when you put him down that you're never coming back hence the protests!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My 2 didn't self settle very well during the day either. It's hard work when they become clingy. I cuddle dd2 to sleep then put her in her bed. During the night when she wakes up she will settle herself. I just tell myself when she is 16 she won't want me to cuddle her so I am getting them all in now

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Are you looking for tired signs? If so maybe it's easier he goes to sleep? Does he have a sleep cue eg swaddling?

i have been doing the settling for my LO until last week. I decided he has to learn self settling himself before the 4 month sleep regression comes. So far have met with a little opposition but not full on big crying. I wean gradually.

we started from carry pat drowsy cot ssshhh sleep to cuddle cot pat ssshhh sleep to now cuddle cot sleep. I give a dummy depending on how much he needs it. I hope to wean him from dummy dependence but for now he really wants it. I swaddle my LO so he gets the message that I am preparing him for nap or bedtime. I also look for his tired signs. The most obvious for mine is hand in mouth grumbling impatiently and frustratedly.

i find that when hes crying, the more I spoke to him or cuddle then put down, cry, cuddle then put down makes crying worse for my LO cos he feels and hears my voice. But it's quite trial and error for every bub is different. So far my LO hasn't cried too hysterically.

i find the mums sharing in this link really good :

http://www.babycenter.com/0_baby-sle...c?showAll=true
    Last edited by Mom2TwoDSs; 24-01-2013 at 19:05.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I have to rock to sleep for day naps... But he goes to sleep by himself at night.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I feed till drowsy then pat to sleep and have recently introduced a dummy for dd2 to help her settle for daycare (mainly cos my boobs will be unavailable for use!). Being doing that for a bit now. Get two good sleeps a day 1-1.5hrs and 2.5-3hrs. Dd2 is now 7mths.