+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 58 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default *spin off* what mispronounced words drive you mad

Quote Originally Posted by Amira View Post
    My daughters name! She is Gabrielle NOT Gabriel She gets really annoyed and upset when people get it wrong. When she was in a different school they even wrote her name wrong at times. Very very annoying.
    she now prefers Gabby.
    Me too! Exactly the same problem, or they will call me Gabe instead of Gab. My gran insists on calling me Gabriel when I have explained I'm not sure how many times in 22 years that it is not my name!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by darla87 View Post
    Girl X you are so very learned! (I pronounce that ler-ned)

Haha - no. Just very interested in the English language, and very very pedantic...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Girl X View Post
    Was he English? That's the standard English pronunciation. I can't get used to 'yoe-gert' over here, although DD says it which is getting me there...
    He was born in Wales to English parents, one of whom grew up in Zimbabwe... and he grew up in Australia. So I'm sure that's where he gets the pronunciation but I just loathe it. It sounds hideous.

Quote Originally Posted by Uniquey View Post
    The only people I knew to say yog-urt were the English, along with pronouncing vitamin as vitta-min and peadophile as peeda-file.
    We often laugh at Bear Grylls for all the "vitta-mins," and "soolts," (like salts, but there seems to be no vowel in there)...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Bec~ View Post
    My parents are English immigrants and although they have been here for about 47 years still say yog-urt and vit-amin (the "vit" rhyming with "nit"). I've told them that if they want to come over here they have to learn our ways!! What's worse is that my Dad is from the north and my Mum is from the south and the north-south divide can still run rampant in the house!
    Ooh those northerners can say some funny things... (I'm a Hampshire girl)

But I don't know - DH (who is Australian) refused to relinquish his strange pronunciation of things like 'data' and 'project' when he lived with me in England. (He said 'dahta' and 'pro-ject' instead of the English 'dayta' and 'prohject'.)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    ok so what is the correct pronounciation of Moet? I have always wondered
    "Mow-ett"

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Guest654 For This Useful Post:

Witwicky  (24-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: *spin off* what mispronounced words drive you mad

YES! Thank you!

But this one leaves me with a horrid dilemma. I know that it should be Mow-ett, but also that most people think it's Mow-ay or (worse) Mow-ee, so I worry that if I say it correctly then everyone else will think I'm an idiot!

So I just avoid ever saying it...
    That's like Joop (that cologne that every young guy seems to slather themselves in). It's actually pronounced Yope (like dope), but no one listens if I tell them, or if I say yope, they tell me that I'm wrong so I just don't say it.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (24-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Witwicky View Post
    Expresso for espresso.

Pacific instead of specific.

Aks instead of ask.

Irregardless for regardless.

Mute instead of moot ('mute point' lol)
    Ooh yes the expresso one annoys me too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Quote Originally Posted by JR03 View Post
    My boss also pronounces "e" as "a", I.e. Ellen is "Allen"... She's from far north QLD, is it a queenslander thing?
    I'm guilty of this! I'm in Melbourne.

My father in law would say nachos as nacos instead of nar-chos. Drove my DH nuts and didn't help he worked at a Mexican restaurant!

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Ooh those northerners can say some funny things... (I'm a Hampshire girl)

But I don't know - DH (who is Australian) refused to relinquish his strange pronunciation of things like 'data' and 'project' when he lived with me in England. (He said 'dahta' and 'pro-ject' instead of the English 'dayta' and 'prohject'.)
    There's nought wrong with norvenors!! I lived in Yorkshire for 6.5 years*.

Funnily enough I had to use the word "project" and "data" a lot for work. I can't remember which way around it is for each country now.

(* That was 6.5 years of grey skies, constant drizzle, freezing rain, frosts, fog, flat caps, whippets, chips with gravy or curry sauce and mushy peas.)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (24-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: *spin off* what mispronounced words drive you mad

Also, I used to live in Eyre Street (named after the explorer). His name is pronounced air, but I had many disagreements with the silly taxi drivers and locals because they would pronounce it eye-r.
    I recall a specific time when I got in the taxi, said Eyre st (pronounced air) and the taxi driver asked if I meant eye-r st, no I meant air, no eye-r. We went back and forth for a while lol