+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Tooth Extraction

Hi ladies just wanting to hear some stories about tooth extraction because I am well and truly freaking out. I have been ignoring a hole in one of my molars for a while now (yes Im an idiot ). Over time the hole has gotten bigger but only in the last 2 weeks has it been causing dramas. I feel like I am majorly paying for ignoring it for so long. Anyway I am in absolute agony and have booked a doctors appointment for this afternoon to get help with the pain until I get into a dentist because panadiene just Isnt cutting it.

So anyway to the point: I am booked into the dentist for next Tuesday and will need to get this tooth pulled for sure. But Im terrified of the dentist and I have never had a tooth pulled. I saw a program on tv where a woman had a few teeth pulled and it scarred me for life

Please tell me what the actual process is on the day.

What pain relief they might have.

Is it extremely painful when being pulled out or is it a gross tugging feeling?

What did you do to prepare yourself if you were freaking out?

Was it as bad as you thought it was going to be?

I should also mention Im 8 weeks pregnant and my first ultrasound is a few hours before the extraction Its going to be a sad day if the ultrasound doesn't go well.

Sorry for my ramblings just very terrified and feeling extremely sorry for myself.

Please share your stories

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I have had three wisdom teeth and one molar extracted without any problems at all, and just recently (Tuesday) my last wisdom tooth extracted and it seems to have really knocked me around. I've been feeling bone-weary tired every time I get up, and the teeth adjacent that had pressure on them during the extraction still ache.

But being pregnant is a real problem. When I was just pregnant I went to the dentist with a tiny cavity in a wisdom tooth, and was told that because I was pregnant they couldn't take Xrays so wanted to wait until after I had the baby before filling it.

Well, as the pregnancy progressed, the tiny divit became more and more of a hole until it felt like 1/3 of the tooth was missing. I was seven months pregnant and had been unable to sleep for a week due to the pain so decided I couldn't wait any longer and had to go back to have it dealt with.

At that stage the tooth was too far gone, and the only feasible option was an extraction - but without an Xray because I was still pregnant. They got me to sign these informed consent forms to say that I was aware that the extraction could cause:
    * premature labour because I was pregnant, and/or
    * permanent nerve damage since they didn't have an Xray to refer to.

After the extraction I went home and slept. When I awoke I still couldn't feel my two front teeth but feeling had returned to the rest of my mouth. I thought, uh-oh, that's the permanent nerve damage I was warned about. But a few hours later the anesthetic wore off in that area as well and full feeling returned.

So there were no ill effects and I was fine.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to sweetseven For This Useful Post:

Purple Lily  (24-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Tooth Extraction

From what I understand, and I could be wrong, what they will do will be decide if the tooth will be pulled, or if you'll have a root canal and a filling; I don't know which one but the process of numbing will probably be similar
    First they will apply a numbing gel to the gum so that you won't feel the local anasthetic needle as badly. They will inject the gum in a couple of places to numb the gum and the nerve root. This will take a few minutes to take effect. The important thing here is to stay calm, stay still, and focus on something else. The more fuss you put up, the longer this process takes and the more it will hurt.
    Then if its an extraction, they will use the pincers to pull the tooth. You might feel a tugging sensation. It will not hurt. You are numbed. Depending on the size of the hole, they might put in a stitch after they insert a small antibiotic tab thing. They might not stitch.
    A root canal is a much longer process and I don't know exactly what they do, but you will be numb.
    After an hour or so, the local will wear off and you'll be allowed to eat if you want.
    I had a tooth pulled a few years ago, and my boyfriend did just before Xmas, and we survived. You'll be ok OP.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Marepoppin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Tooth Extraction

Op I can give you the general run down. I have always worked in the dental field.

When you arrive you need to tell them you are expecting.

They may want to take an X-ray but don't panic you get more radiation when flying on a plane then you do from a tooth X-ray.

They will sit you down in the chair and ask you if you are on any medications etc (repeat that your pregnant).

They will check the tooth and yes probe it to be sure it needs to be removed (may hurt a little) they will give you your options (extraction or root canal therapy) you are much better off keeping the tooth if you can afford too, many offer payment plans too. If you choose to extract you not only loose that tooth but the use of the tooth below or above it. So like loosing 2 important teeth to chew. The choice however is yours and yours only.

Then they will numb you up using a bit of numbing gel and then the needle (don't panic it is really quite a small needle but the apparatus looks rather large) they will use an appropriate anaesthetic that doesn't contain adrenalin (because your pregnant) it will be citinest or scandonest 3ml.

They may rub your cheek to help hurry up the anaesthetic, very rarely do they need to add more anaesthetic but if your tooth is in the stage of dying they can be very very hard to numb.

Whilst its numbing and you rinse your mouth (anaesthetic is not such a pleasant taste) they will explain how to care for the area once tooth is removed. Happy to give you all the info also.

They will then use two instruments if its a general extraction, one that helps to leave and the other to actually pull the tooth out. You shouldn't feel any pain just discomfort (pulling feeling, squelching noise etc) if you feel any stinging at all let the dentist know.

Then the tooth is out. The whole process usually only takes up to 15 mins so pretty quick.

Then you pay lol.

Also I would pop into your dentist today and ask for a script of antibiotics and pain relief if its very painful to kill the infection you have. They will likely give you metronitizole (flagyl) and amoxil. Two antibiotics which do to different jobs. Also some pain relief. Sometimes the drs give you a certain drug but its not quite right for what you need. GP's don't obviously have the same knowledge as a dentist when it comes to these things and I have seen the wrong advice given multiple times. The dentist should happily give you a script (again remind them you are pregnant)

Any other questions feel free to ask. Even afterwards. Follow the care instructions given well as you do not want a dry socket (more painful then your current tooth ache by far)

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 1CrazyMoose For This Useful Post:

3cats1pug  (25-01-2013),Purple Lily  (24-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Tooth Extraction

Being pregnant could be an issue as I don't know what anaesthetics can be used and as PP said they won't be able to do an x-ray.
    In saying that though I have had a total of 12 teeth pulled in my lifetime and none of them was a drama. All bar wisdom teeth were done in the chair which involves a numbing gel rubbed on the gum a couple of injections of anaesthetic (I have a high tolerance so need more than normal) then the dentist will poke your gums to make sure there is no feeling then the tooth gets yanked. There is no pain associated but being a molar you will most likely feel pressure on your jawbone. Afterwards when the anaesthetic wears off there will be mild pain but nothing a couple of nurofen won't help.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to gnomesy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Tooth Extraction

Happy to give you all the info on root canal also if you like.

I have worked for many dentists and have worked on many pregnant women. It really isn't an issue more and old wives tale. They don't like to work on a pregnant lady in 3rd trimester as the mother to be need to lie back on her back for work to be done. Anaesthetics are safe and yes no radiation is good but its very little that actually comes from a tooth X-ray. I also have never heard of premature birth being caused from dental work. It is true though about the nerve and if it is close to the mandibular nerve then they will get written consent from you. This generally only applies to wisdom teeth.

I'm a qualified dental nurse with almost 10years experience and have worked for many dentists and have 3 dentists in my immediate family. If that makes you feel more confident with what I say

11. The Following User Says Thank You to 1CrazyMoose For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Re: Tooth Extraction

Honestly thank you so much ladies for your lengthy replies I really appreciate it. I think its the fear of the unknown but I know I really have to just calm down Im only making it worse for myself. Thanks again

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Purple Lily, I'm by no means scared of the Dentist, however I do understand your anxiety and apprehension about a tooth extraction when you've never had one before. I had to have a tooth extracted before my orthodontic commenced and I too was pregnant. I was a little apprehensive about the 'unknown'.

I think I was pleasantly surprised by how 'quick' the process was, in that by the time my brain registered my tooth was being pulled, it was out. I will admit it was a bit icky when I heard the 'crunching' type sound of the tooth as it was being pulled, but it truly was over and done with very quickly. I managed to get by with some panadol (because I was pregnant) and strictly adhered to the Dentist's instructions with the guaze etc and everything was fine.

You will be fine.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Uniquey For This Useful Post:

LifeInShadesOfGrey is offline Just a little bit silly :)
    Winner 2012 - Best Username
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Tooth Extraction

I was going to write a lengthy reply too but these lovelies have covered everything I wanted to say

Don't be scared you will be great and you will feel wonderful once it's done.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to LifeInShadesOfGrey For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Since a root canal was mentioned, I thought I would give some more information about that also.

I am in Queensland and qualify for public dental treatment. I had a filling fall out and the tooth was extremely painful. There are two local public dental hospitals to me, and both have different practices for taking emergency patients. One you need to arrive prior to 8am and if you are one of the first eight to arrive then you will get seen. The other requires you to ring at 8am and if they've had any cancellations that day they'll give you an appointment - but I've never had any luck with them.

At that point in time I was not able to go to the walk-in one because I needed to get children off to school. I also didn't have a home phone, so it was a big drama for me to drop the children at school early and go to a public phone box. As usual they said they didn't have any cancellations that day and to call again tomorrow. I explained the difficulty I had in calling and she offered me an appointment in three weeks time.

Due to the high level of pain I was concerned that damage from waiting three weeks would be extensive, so I went around all the private dentists in the area to try and see someone immediately, deciding that I just had to wear the cost because it was important. Even that wasn't easy, and I found only one dentist that could get me in in two days time - the rest were at least a week wait.

So I went in two days time, by which time the tooth had stopped hurting. The dentist informed me that was because the tooth had died. She did the preparation work for a root canal and put a temporary patch on so that it would be okay to wait the three weeks until my public dental appointment. I think that appointment cost $180 and I got a quote for $500 for the rest of the root canal if I had continued to go privately. The dentist told me if I went to the public dental they should continue with the root canal since it had been started, but if I went there straight off they probably would've simply done an extraction.

I did go to the public dental appointment and they did continue with the root canal, doing the first root immediately and giving me appointments for the second root and the final cap. It was a real shock to my system and I didn't feel competent to drive for two days afterwards. Then I got a phone call postponing the appointment for the final cap by a month because the dentist was sick.

Unfortunately during that time, I was eating a nectarine and a fragment of the stone came away and I bit down on it with that tooth. The tooth fractured with a split going right down under the gum line. I tried to see the private dentist but they were closed. This was school holidays now so I was able to go to the walk-in public dentist so went there the following morning.

They were annoyed that I had come to them instead of going back to the other public dentist which had done the root canal. They said that because the fracture went below the gum line, it would require major gum surgery (at a cost of about $4000) to repair and would still be weak and thus likely break again in future and still need to be removed, so they recommended removing straight away, thus I agreed. I asked whether the problem was caused by the final cap not being done yet, and they denied this, saying that a tooth with a root canal is weaker and thus it would've likely broken when biting onto a nectarine stone regardless.

Later I went back to the private dentist to ask again about whether it was the lack of final cap that was a problem. I didn't really get an answer to that, but they were disappointed that my tooth had been removed and said that if I had gone back to them they could've fixed it.

PS: I was not pregnant at the time.

==================

What I am trying to outline from the above ordeal is that if the cost makes it difficult to get a root canal, and you are eligible for public dental you can combine the two to reduce the cost.

I am thinking that when the appointment for the final cap was delayed I should've gone back to the private dentist to finish it off.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to sweetseven For This Useful Post:

Purple Lily  (25-01-2013)