+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default spiders!! Anyone else as freaked out as I am...

Ok so the thing is I've never really liked spiders..
    Ive always wanted to move to Australia for better lifestyle for my family, work prospects, weather etc.

But since been here over a year I've seen a huntsman twice. Not too bad some people may say..but we don't have spiders/snakes etc where Im from.
    The very 1st time was on my babies carseat which I freaked out & 2nd time my DH found one in the living room while I was in bed.

I know they are harmless but they are so huge & scary..& we don't have anything like that in Europe.

So now my problem is I can't stop worrying that I'm going to see another in the house. Every day im so nervous & looking around everywhere I go.
    I honestly don't know what's wrong with me!!!!

When I go to bed at night I can't sleep for ages worrying in case there may be one somewhere in the room.

Please I don't want to hear any stories about how many spiders may be hiding in Aussie houses or how close they are away from humans when we are outside or I think i will go crazy..

What I do want to hear is from people in similar situations who may have lived in oz for many years or are from Australia & how do ye cope with this if you too are afraid of spiders.

Or is it the case that the longer you live here you kind of adapt & just have to get used to it?

Some days a thought creeps into my head " oh if I was at home then I wouldn't have this to worry about"

Thanks
    Reviews

Hey!
    I'm Irish n have been living here for 7 years. I also hate hate hate spiders. For me it's the element of surprise, you never know where they're going to be.
    I have a horrible story about a car and a huntsman but I won't go into details. All ill say is time makes it all more bearable I'm on the lookout but not like I used to be. Hang in there, it gets much better! Xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi Tappyboo - I'm afraid of spiders too, (moved from the US to UK then here - definitely nothing like Aussie spiders before!) but luckily not as badly as you. Spiders are a part of Australian life - maybe you could speak to a therapist about your fear? I haven't seen any huntsmen here in Melbourne, but would look at them as a good thing - they eat cockroaches and I'd much rather have a big ol' spider in my house than roaches!

Hubby and I have a pact that any spiders in the house are to be killed and any outside are left alone - unless they're redbacks!

Good luck with it - I absolutely love living here and can't imagine moving anywhere else. Especially because of some insects!

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by SJG View Post
    Hey!
    I'm Irish n have been living here for 7 years. I also hate hate hate spiders. For me it's the element of surprise, you never know where they're going to be.
    I have a horrible story about a car and a huntsman but I won't go into details. All ill say is time makes it all more bearable I'm on the lookout but not like I used to be. Hang in there, it gets much better! Xx
    Ah thanks SJG..I'm also irish so you know exactly where I'm coming from..I totally agree its the element of surprise & now I'm on constant look out too..but hopefully it will ease in time..that would be great..

I also had a horrible car spider story where a fecking huge huntsman was crawling on the carseat of my then 2 week old baby..luckily I wasn't driving!!!

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by angelini View Post
    Hi Tappyboo - I'm afraid of spiders too, (moved from the US to UK then here - definitely nothing like Aussie spiders before!) but luckily not as badly as you. Spiders are a part of Australian life - maybe you could speak to a therapist about your fear? I haven't seen any huntsmen here in Melbourne, but would look at them as a good thing - they eat cockroaches and I'd much rather have a big ol' spider in my house than roaches!

Hubby and I have a pact that any spiders in the house are to be killed and any outside are left alone - unless they're redbacks!

Good luck with it - I absolutely love living here and can't imagine moving anywhere else. Especially because of some insects!
    Love living here too angelini..thank god hubby isn't afraid of any spider and can get of them for me..he even got bit by a redback last year..he has an outdoors job so think he's just more used to it than me..

The huntsman in the house was only a few days ago so maybe that's why it's constant on my mind & I will forget I'm time till I see another one lol

Thanks
    Reviews

Tappyboo, I've lived in Melbourne since I was a child but have a horrible fear of any spider, not just huntsmen. They make me have panic attacks. I've had many encounters with big scary spiders and haven't handled them well.

We keep our home spider free by having an exterminator come in and spray the place and property perimeter yearly. I promise that will make them stay away. : )

Thanks
    Reviews

That's a really good idea..
    We are renting so am trying to see if estate agent can do anything for me till we move out.
    Haven't heard from her since I emailed her about it a few days ago.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I am arachnophobic and I hate it. I wish I wasn't so phobic about spiders, but alas I am.

Spiders have impacted so many things in my life and one of them is that I am afraid to go camping as I know I probably wouldn't sleep too well and another is that I won't live in a house with trees/bushy gardens around it, especially near the windows. I also won't park under trees in the shade. I wish I would have the gumption to go to the Museum and do one of those 'conquering your spider fear' courses, but I am too scared to do that as the end result is that you'll allow a spider to crawl over your hand or on your head!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Spiders scare the poop out of me too! I was never very afraid until I was pregnant and I just couldn't go near them anymore and had to get someone else to "remove" them for me. However we seem to get a lot of white tail spiders where we live and I have had to just get used to killing them again otherwise they would be there all day til DF gets home, I check my bed covers and scan the room before going to sleep at night, but if I do find one I feel victorious when I kill them, haha. You can buy home pest spray kits as well, I don't think your RE will do much but it isn't expensive for the professionals to come out - around $200. Also, Daddy long legs spiders creep me out but I let them stay as they eat other spiders.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm petrified of spiders. Always have been even when I was a child. I keep a decent bug spray under the kitchen sink so its nearby if I need it and I will drown them (can't do just a small spray I have to spray and spray until its dead) and once its dead I need to leave the house because of all the fumes. LOL

I used to leave it there for DH to get rid of for me when he gets home while freaking out at the site of it even while dead but now one of my 9yr old twins will happily go get some paper towels and get rid of it for me. I tell her eww no don't go near it but she just laughs and says it doesn't bother her.

I do remember one day opening the car door when my twins were babies and seeing one which I had no choice but to kill or let it run aorund in the car which was too scary! I kicked my leg so high and killed it while screaming. I know the huntsmen don't hurt us but I still freak out.

Smaller ones I can sometimes squish it. I also have an outdoor bug spray which I spray around on the clothesline, gate, patio etc from time to time.