+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Cat napping

Hi all - my 5 week old has been sick with jaundice and has only just regained hi birth weight. Initially he was sleeping for an hour or so between feeds during the day - we had to feed him every 2 hours to keep his calories up as he was too tired to feed properly. He's now over his birth weight but has taken to sleeping for only 20-30 minutes between feeds. It's really stressful as I have other children to care for. I've tried helping him into a deeper sleep when he starts to stir, and just resettling when he wakes but it's not working. If I do manage to resettle him he's awake again after 5 minutes. I can't do cat napping, I firmly believe he needs much more sleep to be healthy.

Does anyone else have experience with cat napping who can a) give me ideas to resolve it and/or b) give me hope that it'll resolve with time. It's causing me a lot of distress.

Thanks!

T

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Cat napping

Hey TrixieB

My 11wk old is a cat napper during the day. He normally only goes for 45 mins before being wide awake and has just 3 naps a day of that length.

The other day I was googling a bit to try to find some answers too and found a website (blog) called My baby sleep guide or something like that and the lady suggested the following things-

* white noise- I was already doing this but according to her, didn't have it loud enough to be helping

* dark room- I had been having bub in the bassinette in the lounge with me during day naps so definitely not dark!

* quiet room- once again, lounge not exactly quiet!

And a few other things but these were the 3 that I picked up on. So yesterday morning, I put bub down in his own room with curtains drawn and white noise up louder...

He slept 2 hrs

I can PM you the website if you want? She talks a lot about sleep cycles and stuff, and isn't a CIO advocate, I thought she was really helpful.

ETA- it can be totally normal to have a cat napper so I had just accepted that that's what he was doing. He was still happy during the day despite the short naps. But just the last wk, he's been getting a bit grumpy in between naps so that's why I started looking at solutions.
    Last edited by Pen14; 24-01-2013 at 10:29.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you! I have had a read through that site, it's very informative, has given me lots to think about.

T

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Cat napping

Pen14...can you PM the site to me as well??
    My LO is a huge cat napper. Does 10-15 min and then awake for an hour. Over and over

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Cat napping

Quote Originally Posted by Izka View Post
    Pen14...can you PM the site to me as well??
    My LO is a huge cat napper. Does 10-15 min and then awake for an hour. Over and over
    Just sent it through