+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Will this affect my supply...?

Last night my DD slept from 10 until 5 in the morning. She is 5.5 weeks old and in the end I went it and got her up because my boobs were in pain! If she starts to sleep for long periods during the nights like this is it going to affect my supply given that she is so young? Should I be waking her to feed or just let her sleep?

Thanks
    Reviews

No your supply will regulate in a few days. You can always express a little for comfort in the meantime. If over time baby starts waking in the night again you'll be short a few days until you catch up again.

I'm jealous you have such a good sleeper. My 5 mth old is giving me 20 mins of sleep at a time at the moment!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to hollychops For This Useful Post:

thepouts  (24-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

As holly chops said - ur boobs'll regulate themselves; they're magic! My lil girl is 16wks, and started sleeping longer hours from around 4/5wks, then the massive stretch from 7pm - 4am, and for the last few weeks, all the way thru til around 530/6. The brain figures out when the milk is most needed (ie. peak demand times - early morning, late arvo/early evening) , and adjust to ur baby's needs. As hollychops said, it may take a few days for ur boobs to adjust, but you (and ur boobs!) will be fine.
    One thing that's always stuck in my head was a comment one of my docs made: early on, a lot of mum's worry that they aren't making enough milk, so decide to supplement with formula, baby sleeps longer/goes longer stretches without feeding coz the formula takes longer to digest, mum not feeding as much = milk decline. The best thing to do is just go with the flow, and ur boob's (maybe after initial discomfort) with follow!
    Well done that Bubba is sleeping longer stretches!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mushiedaina For This Useful Post:

thepouts  (24-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Im glad I have magical boobs

Thanks
    Reviews

:-)