View Poll Results: Which way do you tie shoelaces?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • standard shoelace knot

4 66.67%
  • bunny ears method

2 33.33%
  • other

0 0%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Which way do you teach your child to tie shoelaces?

Ok, so it's time to teach my ds to tie his shoelaces, but dh & I tie our laces differently. So, can you help me by answering my poll as to which way you have (or plan to) teach your child to tie their shoelaces.

Option 1 - "standard shoelace knot" - http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/standardknot.htm (aka 'around the tree' shoelace knot)

Option 2 - "bunny ears method" - http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/twoloopknot.htm

btw apparently there are 18+ ways to tie shoelaces ... but for now I'm curious to know which one of the two above is the more common ... and I won't influence your voting by telling you which way I tie my laces

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I have so far failed to teach my child how to do it. I just suck at teaching things, it seems.

I TRIED to teach her the standard way. That's how I do it.

DP does more of a bunny method, and he's taught her how to do it that way. I tried to do it but would always absent-mindedly go back to my way of doing it... so that's probably half the reason I sucked at teaching.

Thanks
    Reviews

It's a long time before I teach DD but I do remember that I was taught bunny ears first at about 5yo as it was easier and then the traditional way maybe 2 years later. I only tie my laces the traditional way now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014

Default Re: Which way do you teach your child to tie shoelaces?

I've always tied my shoe laces the way shown in your first example. I've been told this is wrong and weird by many people and the retarded way by my mother.

Most people seem to use the second method you've shown.

I'm still yet to teach my kids. My 8 year old has no desire to learn. He seems to think i can buy him velcro and laceless shoes forever

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: Which way do you teach your child to tie shoelaces?

I was taught to do it the first way, then as I got a bit older decided it was easier and faster to do it the second way. I then taught my little brother how to tie his shoelaces, and showed him this way as well. It's a lot easier to pick up imo.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using BubHub

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    DS was taught the standard way.

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews

Option 1 here

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone. Ds has the option of velcro shoes for Prep (this year) but he has to have lace up shoes from next year, so we don't have the option of continuing velcro. I'm pretty sure he'll manage it technically though once we show him.

At the shoe shop the other day I heard the manager talking to a little girl who appeared to be about 8 and he was explaining to her that she needed to put holes in a piece of cardboard with a hole punch. Then she should thread the laces & practice doing them up whenever she was sitting down (eg. watching tv or just relaxing) and eventually she would get it. I thought that was a good suggestion.

I might try the bunny ears method first and we'll take it from there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

I learned the first way and I plan to teach that to DS this year. I've bought Velcro shoes for this year but if he can master tying them I'll be able to get laces next time (he starts prep next week and turns 6 next month).

Thanks
    Reviews
    'standard' here - except I take the the lace around and through TWICE when I do the first tie - it stays in place better and doesn't come loose while attempting the second part of the knot.
    Always make sure you go around BEHIND the loop, rather than over and through - it results in a 'stronger knot' that lies across the the shoe [ instead of turning to run up and down the shoe - if that makes sense?] -- and comes undone less often.
    Last edited by FiveInTheBed; 24-01-2013 at 07:36.