+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Temping Help!!!!

Hi Ladies

Could I please have some assistance interpreting something?

I've been temping since day 1 of this cycle with a standard digital thermometer until today when I started using a basal thermometer (had to wait on the postman to deliver it).

This morning I used both just to make sure the temp was the same, but it wasn't even close.

The BT said 36.29 degrees celcius
    And the standard T said 36.1 degrees celcius.

As this confused me I tested again 10 mins later and got:
    The BT said 36.21 degrees celcius
    And the standard T said 36.1 degrees celcius still.

Firstly, how could there be a .19 degrees celcius difference within the 2 thermometers. Should I continue using both all month to maintain the integrity of my chart?

Secondly, shouldn't the 2nd reading on the BT be higher than the 1st as the 1st is the basal temp?

So confused! I am also going to try monitoring CM & use OPKs to monitor my status this month so hopefully I won't miss anything...

Has anyone had anything similar?

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Temping Help!!!!

I'd continue using the digital for this month, only to maintain accuracy, then switch to the basal. BTs are much more precise and able to pick up tiny temp shifts.

Good luck! X

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Temping Help!!!!

I'm not sure the difference between thermometers. But if it were me I'd continue with the original one and swap to the bbt next cycle.

However what CD are you on? I don't find my temp info much help until I have O'd. So you could well change to BBT for a more accurate reading for O.

you mentioned you took your temp 10 mins later? I believe it's your testing temp. Ie, taken as soon as you wake after 4-5hrs solid sleep.

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Temping Help!!!!

Also, BBT shifts on my thermometer too. I find it easier to take it once only, and record that temp so I don't get confused by different readings

strawberry swing is offline not so patiently waiting for the 1st of july!
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Temping Help!!!!

I swapped from using a mercury basal thermometer to a digital basal thermometer. I ended up buying mine online because I was struggling to find one in a chemist.

I found it easier than trying to see my temp after I had just woken up and it took the guess work out of it

good luck

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Temping Help!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by rainbow road View Post
    Also, BBT shifts on my thermometer too. I find it easier to take it once only, and record that temp so I don't get confused by different readings
    I usually take my temp when I first wake at night, sometimes it's 2-5am, incase I don't go back to solid sleep. If I do go back to sleep I take it again when I wake up for the day and use that to keep the timing consistent. However there is often a big difference in those readings.

Strawberry you're doing better than me. My foggy eyes sometimes can't make out the digital one! Thankfully I can turn it back on when my eyes adjust and the temp is still there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you for all your comments ladies!

I'd continue using the digital for this month, only to maintain accuracy, then switch to the basal. BTs are much more precise and able to pick up tiny temp shifts.

Good luck! X
    I will keep using my original thermometer for acuracy but I'm worried about missing the changes seeing it clearly isn't as responsive as the basal thermometer.

Quote Originally Posted by MissusMac View Post
    I'm not sure the difference between thermometers. But if it were me I'd continue with the original one and swap to the bbt next cycle.

However what CD are you on? I don't find my temp info much help until I have O'd. So you could well change to BBT for a more accurate reading for O.

you mentioned you took your temp 10 mins later? I believe it's your testing temp. Ie, taken as soon as you wake after 4-5hrs solid sleep.
    Today is CD7. I took my temp 10 mins later as I was laying awake in bed confused about the difference and wanted to see what would happen 10 mins later. For the sake of my chart I've used the 1st temp not the 2nd temp that I did out of curiousity.

Good idea!

Quote Originally Posted by strawberry swing View Post
    I swapped from using a mercury basal thermometer to a digital basal thermometer. I ended up buying mine online because I was struggling to find one in a chemist.

I found it easier than trying to see my temp after I had just woken up and it took the guess work out of it

good luck
    Thank you! I did the temp when I first woke up at 5.30am. I've only been doing it for 7 days so I guess I have a lot to learn.

Quote Originally Posted by MissusMac View Post
    I usually take my temp when I first wake at night, sometimes it's 2-5am, incase I don't go back to solid sleep. If I do go back to sleep I take it again when I wake up for the day and use that to keep the timing consistent. However there is often a big difference in those readings.

Strawberry you're doing better than me. My foggy eyes sometimes can't make out the digital one! Thankfully I can turn it back on when my eyes adjust and the temp is still there.
    That is a great feature of the digital thermometers!

Thank you for your comments ladies! I just want to make sure I don't miss the boat for this month (so to speak)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Temping Help!!!!

Temping will only tell you that you've O'd after you have, so it doesn't help you predict O. Don't stress too much about temps - it's more the general idea & the thermal shift that you look for.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Temping Help!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by peoniesarepretty View Post
    Temping will only tell you that you've O'd after you have, so it doesn't help you predict O. Don't stress too much about temps - it's more the general idea & the thermal shift that you look for.
    Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh, and guess what Rainbow Road? Big spike this morning. FF confirmed O as Monday, which I already knew.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to peoniesarepretty For This Useful Post:

rainbow road  (07-02-2013)